Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dogs: Leash vs Fence

At the house we had a fenced in yard and I usually went out with them in my pjs. Now in my condo I use potty pads as my dogs are 5-7lbs. I take them for a 2 mile walk daily when it works for me. Catherine in your situation I would put the dog on a leash to do it’s business and go out in my robe.

What about a long-ish outdoor leash/chain, right outside the back door? Long enough for him to get into the backyard to do his business. You could just open the door, hook up the dog and let him do his thing, he comes back to the door, you unleash and voila! My friend has this system with two dogs and it works well for all of them.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    What about a long-ish outdoor leash/chain, right outside the back door? Long enough for him to get into the backyard to do his business. You could just open the door, hook up the dog and let him do his thing, he comes back to the door, you unleash and voila! My friend has this system with two dogs and it works well for all of them.
    I used a tether with our first bulldog before our fence was finished.

I have a smallish fenced dog yard, 11x12, so I can open the door and send my 3 cockers out to take care of business at 5:30 in the morning, then they get breakfast. If I don’t have an early morning commitment, all 4 of us often go back to sleep for a couple of hours. We go for walks later in the day or early evening in the summer.

My Shih Tzu nephew is pad trained, so my SIL and BIL can walk him when it works for them without worrying about him being uncomfortable.

Rosa and Terry, I always thought it would be a good idea to pad train a dog so that it would be easier to to things like travel with the dog.

How large a dog could use this system, and how do you pad train a dog?

It was very convenient to travel. When I flew with Cassie I would take her into a stall with me and put a pad down. Her and I would pee together). I put a pad down and then put some pee on it from someone of the opposite sex of the dog. That makes them want to pee on top of it. Then I would clap and get all excited when they used it. I would think any dog bigger than 25lbs would pee too much for a pad but not really sure.

Tybee: Since I'm only his aunt, I don't really know how they trained him, except I know treats were involved. He is a 14 lb dog.

I plan to downsize dog breeds in future. Maybe will look into it then.

We walk the dogs weather permitting. We are open to a greenway and do not have a fence. We put them on a 30ft cable to do their business and then they come right back in.

Thread Information