Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shower Door

Yppej

Shower Door

I have a shower curtain, but lately it has been down. I saw that DS bought his own shower curtain and leaves it on a bench when he is not using it. When he was still talking to me he reported he has to use a lot of disinfectant to sanitize the shower/tub to his standards before each use. I bought him some disinfectant spray but he will not use it because he is mad at me and does not want to take anything from me. The reason he would leave it on the bench is so my germs do not get on it and he then has to re-sanitize it.

Generally I take a bath at the end of the day to relax but sometimes I want a shower, but I haven't wanted to use his shower curtain which is over the shower curtain pole lying on the bench.

I could:

1. Use it anyways.
    2. Buy my own shower curtain rod and shower curtain, which still leaves his cluttering up the house when not in use.
    3. Install a shower door.

I think a door would be easier to sanitize than all the folds in the shower curtain, and from what I read it adds to the value of the home but is also expensive ($1000 on up is typical). I also seem to remember it not being easy to clean when my parents had one, whereas if a shower curtain gets dirty you can just buy a new one for a few dollars. However maybe the doors have improved over the years and are easier to clean?

Do you have a shower door? Do you like it?

When I did have one I hated it because it was hard to keep clean.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    When I did have one I hated it because it was hard to keep clean.
    Whatever device you have to keep water in the shower and off the floor, it gets full of soap scum. Shower curtains you can replace them more often.

Yppej
    Ok. I think I will not get one. Thanks for the input.

I get the washable shower curtains with a plastic liner in front of it. I throw away the cheap plastic one when dirty and then wash the other one. IL yes it’s the soap scum that gets the door so dirty.

I have a cloth shower curtain that can be washed.... no plastic here.

We have one shower door and two shower curtains, in my opinion the shower door is much easier to clean. We replaced our old frosted glass door about 6 months ago with a clear glass model for about $300, but that was with me installing it and it is for a walk in shower rather than a tub/shower combo. As far as cleaning goes we keep a small squeegee in the shower and do a quick once over with it before exiting. Easy Peasy!
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Yeah, a shower door for a walk in shower is easy to clean. Doors on tubs are a PITA - the door track is always cruddy looking, no matter what you do. Maybe if you have really soft water and used a soap that didn't scum - is there such a thing? they might be ok. But I will stick with a curtain, as long as I have to have a tub/shower combo.

There’s also some spray on soap scum remover that my mother-in-law introduced us to years and years ago. Whenever we buy a new bottle every few years are use it for a little bit and then I forget about it. I think DH must be the one who uses it.

Like the squeegee idea, you just give the surface a quick spray down after each shower.

I had a walk in shower stall with clear glass and did the same thing as Alan to keep it clean. But that’s totally different than a sliding door on a tub.

Thread Information