Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Food prep day

Razz, I was trying to use up the corn chips and the dips and made up the recipe. I found you can also use leftover french fries as the base of the frittata. Sometimes restaurants give you huge amounts of french fries and I hate to throw food away.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Razz, I was trying to use up the corn chips and the dips and made up the recipe. I found you can also use leftover french fries as the base of the frittata. Sometimes restaurants give you huge amounts of french fries and I hate to throw food away.
    I'm the same way about using things before they go bad so that they don't have to be tossed! My "everything soup" is just that - everything in the fridge+ thrown into the cp for soup. So far, it has always turned out pretty tasty!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

About the only meal prep I do is for lunches. If I cut up my veggies for the whole week, I am more apt to take a lunch rather than buy one. I fill sandwich bags for the week with celery and carrot sticks (no baby carrots), and several radishes. Those are my standard, but sometimes I mix it up and add pea pods and/or sliced bell pepper. Then I can just toss in an Amy's Veggie Burrito, Fruit - like grapes, sliced melon or an apple. I save the little 2oz take out dressing cups and fill them with nuts and seeds (walnuts, almonds and pumpkin seeds) - presto a good healthy lunch. I sometimes will make my own vegan burrito and freeze them and I must say they are quite tasty too!

When my kids were in school and I was making lunches - I would get the long baguettes and make deli sandwiches and cut and wrap them in about 4" lengths. In the frig they would last several days and save me a huge amount of time in the a.m.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg44 View Post
    About the only meal prep I do is for lunches. If I cut up my veggies for the whole week, I am more apt to take a lunch rather than buy one. I fill sandwich bags for the week with celery and carrot sticks (no baby carrots), and several radishes. Those are my standard, but sometimes I mix it up and add pea pods and/or sliced bell pepper. Then I can just toss in an Amy's Veggie Burrito, Fruit - like grapes, sliced melon or an apple. I save the little 2oz take out dressing cups and fill them with nuts and seeds (walnuts, almonds and pumpkin seeds) - presto a good healthy lunch. I sometimes will make my own vegan burrito and freeze them and I must say they are quite tasty too!

When my kids were in school and I was making lunches - I would get the long baguettes and make deli sandwiches and cut and wrap them in about 4" lengths. In the frig they would last several days and save me a huge amount of time in the a.m.
    Making lunches are also a big time saver for me as well. I usually make a big salad and pre-pack containers for each day. I like your idea of the little seed/nut cups.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi

My big prep this week has been pickling 20 qts of dill pickles. Next week I start on making my supply of salsa as the u-pik tomatoes are now available. I also pick enough peppers to make the salsa but buy the onions in 10lb bags.
    I do get tired of hauling the empty quart jars up and taking them down to the basement storage. Have to think about alternatives.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Ahhh... another Sunday to prep ahead! My weekly egg dish is in the oven. I'm going to be working on prepping some dried beans for using during the week. I am also starting up my sprouting! Of course, all this means I need to clean up/organize the counter for space for the jars. LOL.

What do you guys do with tons of cherry tomatoes? I roasted some and made sauce but not worth the effort with all those seeds.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    What do you guys do with tons of cherry tomatoes? I roasted some and made sauce but not worth the effort with all those seeds.
    Maybe we don’t mind the seeds? I throw cherry tomatoes that are of a decent size into a bag and freeze them. I really don’t mind or even notice the seeds. Right now I’ve got four different kinds of cherry tomatoes sitting on the counter, some of them are those itty-bitty teeny tiny ones the size of a pea. The tiny ones we must eat before they go bad.

I cut my cherry tomatoes in halves or quarters and dehydrate them for snacks, salads, and toppings all year. (Today I had some with mozzarella cheese on a flat bread.)

when I have enough dried I add them to the puréed assorted tomatoes that I either dehydrate or freeze fir making sauces in the fall/winter. I use a food mill to remove seeds from my sauce.

Now that I am working, my food projects fall mostly on weekends. Today, besides freezing 6.5 quarts of puréed tomatoes, I made enough rice pudding for breakfast all week and froze 2.5 quarts of chocolate frozen custard (we still have plenty of eggs and milk.) I want to get back to doing more baking.

Good God--people seed tomatoes?
    There's no end to the things I learn on this forum.

Thread Information