Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Food prep day

Made minestrone soup today based on this thread. Turned out great. Thanks for the idea!!!

This has me thinking of more of a piecemeal approach.

for example - last night I filled the dehydrator with green beans to make snacks. As I worked, I cut up the beans tgat were too big to dehydrate wel, and put them in a container in the fridge - so now I need to rake advantage of that pre-prep and cook some things with green beans in them.

The lettuce is starting to give up (I picked it 4 weeks ago so it wouldn’t bolt, so that’s actually pretty great.) so I knew I wanted to have salad for lunch while I can. I have a lot of eggs and like them hard boiled in my salad, so I hard boiled six this morning.

there are a lot of foods that can be prepped as they come in to encourage use and avoid waste....

I make a big container of salad (spring lettuces, grape tomatoes, green onion, red bell pepper and edemame), make up some individual servings of plain Greek yogurt and frozen fruit and small bags of nuts. I grab the nuts and yogurt for snacks at work and the salad for lunch (I add leftover chicken or albacore tuna, etc.).
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

I do the same thing with salads, beckyliz, right down to adding extras depending on my mood. LOL.

Chicken Lady - do you do anything in particular with the green beans for the dehydrator? I've never tried to make dried green beans for snacking, but would love to.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Yogurt and nuts and berries pretty much everyday for breakfast, salad nearly everyday for lunch. I'm also into jarred vegetables as a salad addition: pickled beets, pickled green beans, marinated artichokes. I suppose these are an expense as they are a bit pricey and I buy them (I don't make them), but if you are going to eat salad every day of your life I rationalize you have to make it interesting .... vary the ingredients, vegetables are healthy. When I hear lunches brought to the office described as "sad sack lunches", I'm just: no, my lunches are not sad, they have never been sad . They are every variety of salad. Eating in the office is sad though - no way around that one!! .

Why not make minestrone in the summer? Uh because it's hot. It's hot in summer, soup boiling away for an hour sounds hot. Mind you I have had the A/C on while cooking just to make cooking bearable sometimes in summer but.

No I don't do a food prep day. Yes I have often thought of it, but the thought of spending one of two precious weekend days all day cooking. No ....
    Trees don't grow on money

Happystuff, you blanch them for two minutes. Then you can coat them in oil and a spice (I use olive oil and salt for kale chips) but I just dry the beans plain - black valentine variety - they come out crunchy and sweet.

they take 10-16 hours at 125F depending on thickness and crunch desired, so I run them overnight. I recommend picking them on the young side.

today I cooked mix for frozen custard (trying to find the energy to run the ice cream maker) and made dinner with leftovers.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post
    Happystuff, you blanch them for two minutes. Then you can coat them in oil and a spice (I use olive oil and salt for kale chips) but I just dry the beans plain - black valentine variety - they come out crunchy and sweet.

they take 10-16 hours at 125F depending on thickness and crunch desired, so I run them overnight. I recommend picking them on the young side.

today I cooked mix for frozen custard (trying to find the energy to run the ice cream maker) and made dinner with leftovers.
    Thanks, CL. So when you say "I just dry the beans plain" does that mean you don't coat them in oil at all? Definitely want to try this!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi

No oil. Blanch, drain, toss onto a tea towel to cool enough to handle, load dehydrator. I like them super crunchy, which took 13 hours with full trays of medium to small beans last night.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post
    No oil. Blanch, drain, toss onto a tea towel to cool enough to handle, load dehydrator. I like them super crunchy, which took 13 hours with full trays of medium to small beans last night.
    Excellent! Thank you so much! Can't wait to try this.

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    Yogurt and nuts and berries pretty much everyday for breakfast, salad nearly everyday for lunch. I'm also into jarred vegetables as a salad addition: pickled beets, pickled green beans, marinated artichokes. I suppose these are an expense as they are a bit pricey and I buy them (I don't make them), but if you are going to eat salad every day of your life I rationalize you have to make it interesting .... vary the ingredients, vegetables are healthy. When I hear lunches brought to the office described as "sad sack lunches", I'm just: no, my lunches are not sad, they have never been sad . They are every variety of salad. Eating in the office is sad though - no way around that one!! .

Why not make minestrone in the summer? Uh because it's hot. It's hot in summer, soup boiling away for an hour sounds hot. Mind you I have had the A/C on while cooking just to make cooking bearable sometimes in summer but.

No I don't do a food prep day. Yes I have often thought of it, but the thought of spending one of two precious weekend days all day cooking. No ....
    Try it... you will like it. Cooking on the top of the stove does not heat up the kitchen. I like salads but they get old too and variety is nice.

Thread Information