Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stuffing

Stuffing

Without a doubt is the best part of thanksgiving dinner. Even better than the canned cranberry sauce that still has the can's rings visible on the edges. But there is disagreement over how to make the stuffing. Do you cook it separate from the turkey or do you put it inside the turkey and risk the supposed danger of undercooking it and giving all your guests food poisoning?

I have plebian tastes in stuffing. I’m just fine with Stove Top.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    I have plebian tastes in stuffing. I’m just fine with Stove Top.
    Nothing wrong with that! The rest of the year that’s plenty good enough for us.

I don't know about stuffing--I tend to share Tradd's preference--if for no other reason than to prevent sogginess--but fresh cranberry sauce is so easy to make that I'd never go back to the canned variety.

But the canned type is what my mom always served for thanksgiving. And since thanksgiving is all about tradition that’s what both my sister and I prefer. SO finds it hilarious.

Thankfully my desire for tradition doesn’t extend to the rest of the year or we’d be eating dreadful boiled canned veggies with dinner every other night of the year with dinner…. Mom loved all the modern ‘conveniences’ that could be found in the center of the grocery store.

I make a homemade stuffing and it goes in the turkey. During the year I also make stuffed pork chops or chicken. You couldn’t pay me to eat stove top. Homemade stuffing is not hard to make.

Still miss my Dad's stuffing creations. Most years it had apple, chestnuts, dried currants, bread cubes, lots of seasonings, onion and milk for moistening. He put as much in the turkey as would fit and the rest in a casserole dish. We even made stuffing sandwiches. Loved the leftovers.

Leftover stuffing is wonderful with some cranberries on the side.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I thought it was "stuffing" in the turkey and "dressing" outside the turkey? We had both this year - mom's recipe in the turkey and a bread dressing outside. As for cranberry sauce - love it all! LOL.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I stuffed the turkey and then made a big pan also. The stuffing in the turkey is always better.

Thread Information