Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Food prep day

Food prep day

Does anyone else have one of these?

With my work schedule, I'm finding that it's easier if I put the time and effort upfront on Sundays to prep food for the week and take care of perishable foods in the fridge.

Today I have sourdough bread ready to go in the oven, the other 1/2 batch of dough is in the fridge - probably for tortillas mid-week. I have roasted garlic cauliflower in the oven; ham and carrots dices and rice made for stir fried rice (I'll add more ingredients later), boneless chicken breast waiting to be cleaned and marinated for at least two different meals. Still have daylight left, so not sure what I'll end up with in the fridge for dinners. I will also make a salad for lunches so grab-n-go is easy on workday mornings.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

In my busier days, planning for family meals I did this but in my later retirement days, I start out well and then partway I don't wish to follow the week's plan but rather go for something quite different or less effort, like some almonds and some of the cutup veggies. I found that I wasted more food.
    Instead I do batch cooking now and freeze portions that I can pull out according to my notion or the weather for the day to eat with the cutup veggies.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I have a friend that does this but I never have. It doesn’t appeal to me.

Minestrone Soup with Whatcha Got...

We make it on Sunday, eat it through Thursday. (Minestrone gets better!) As summer goes on, zucchini becomes more plentiful.

Mangia!

The idea has always appealed to me, but I have never had the follow through.

these days Dh does almost all the cooking, but as it is summer, every day is a food prep day. Today I picked beans, cukes, yellow squash, tomatoes and kohlrabi. I dried half the kale for snacking. Ironically we had ravioli from the freezer for dinner because Dh had been mowing all day and didn’t feel like cooking.

if I was cooking for myself I would shift between eating raw “ingredients” and cooking meals in multiserving amounts that I could just eat until it was gone. I did that last week one night when Dh was gone and then had the same lunch all week.

Whenever I buy protein, I'll cook it off and then freeze in meal portions. When I make soup or stew, I make enough to freeze portions. But I don't plan the week ahead as I can't predict how I'll feel, how much energy I'll have, what the weather will be or what I feel like eating. I can still get many meals on the table in 15 minutes or less. Its often either some protein with a cooked veg and a raw salad, or multiple cooked veg with a starch.

Quote Originally Posted by dado potato View Post
    Minestrone Soup with Whatcha Got...

We make it on Sunday, eat it through Thursday. (Minestrone gets better!) As summer goes on, zucchini becomes more plentiful.

Mangia!
    Minestrone soup has been our soup du jour this past month, because it's a great way to use zucchini and other veggies. One of the big food doctors--maybe Mark Hyman?--eats minestrone soup for breakfast every day.

As for the top of meal-planning, we don't do any prep, really. But I do love making soups. I just bought some Kombu and dashi on Amazon for miso soup.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I always forget about soup for the summer, even though I love soup! Thanks for the reminder.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    I always forget about soup for the summer, even though I love soup! Thanks for the reminder.
    My favorite summer soup is gazpacho, although DH doesn't like it. It's delicious and you use up cucumbers and tomatoes.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    My favorite summer soup is gazpacho, although DH doesn't like it. It's delicious and you use up cucumbers and tomatoes.
    My dh isn't much on soups, but I'm going to start looking up recipes. There's a wonderful Korean cold cucumber soup that he will eat, but not as a main meal. lol

Thread Information