Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Donít worry, itís not really government censorship

I think one of the key differences between the phone company and Facebook is that Facebook has algorithms that determine what information gets presented to you. Itís not as though it simply presents everything your friends have posted since the last time you logged on.

I believe that you are still being naive about the power of Big Tech. It is not simply BS or any other simple annoyance. We are not talking about a generally benign society or world population. Creating fear, doubt, anger, apathy, etc., is the most powerful weapon against humanity!

When Russia, North Korea, Pakistan, China, other competing countries, etc have dedicated departments creating misinformation and unlimited means of sharing such destructive, demoralizing and confusing information without any checks and balances, countries have the right to expect some accountability from the Tech Big platforms that distribute this mis info as a profit generator.
    As Cicero said, ďGratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.Ē

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    I believe that you are still being naive about the power of Big Tech. It is not simply BS or any other simple annoyance. We are not talking about a generally benign society or world population. Creating fear, doubt, anger, apathy, etc., is the most powerful weapon against humanity!

When Russia, North Korea, Pakistan, China, other competing countries, etc have dedicated departments creating misinformation and unlimited means of sharing such destructive, demoralizing and confusing information without any checks and balances, countries have the right to expect some accountability from the Tech Big platforms that distribute this mis info as a profit generator.
    Disinformation predates the internet by many centuries. So do political actors spinning the truth to suit their needs. So do various cranks, zealots and conspiracy theorists. Even the term ďBig TechĒ is intended to make certain firms seem sinister and dangerous. None of this is anything new, and there is nothing magical about todayís technology.

I think we have more to fear from authorities ďprotectingĒ us by deciding what we should see than the worst the organized liars can do. Iíd rather deal with a lot of nonsense than thought police.

The way that Facebook gets threatened by the government, is the same way that many keep asking if they are a platform or a publisher. They have hearings to "determine that" and show there need to be "clear, published guidelines that content producers actually have the rights to view and appeal", in the way that fairtube union, in the EU have been pushing for.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Disinformation predates the internet by many centuries. So do political actors spinning the truth to suit their needs. So do various cranks, zealots and conspiracy theorists. Even the term “Big Tech” is intended to make certain firms seem sinister and dangerous. None of this is anything new, and there is nothing magical about today’s technology.

I think we have more to fear from authorities “protecting” us by deciding what we should see than the worst the organized liars can do. I’d rather deal with a lot of nonsense than thought police.
    Interesting viewpoints expressed and explain a little of the division in perception to me. Let's agree to disagree.
    As Cicero said, ďGratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.Ē

Thread Information