Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is This the Way of the World?

Yppej
    Color is the main reason I want to see the room divider in person, and to bring an extra piece of flooring with me to place next to it.

I haven't been shopping for well over a year, but have recently ventured out onto Church St. in Burlington for the fun of it. There is something to be said for shopping in person for those quirky things you probably have never thought to buy. Otherwise, I don't mind buying online. I just bought bamboo blinds online, and I also bought two accent chairs. I haven't seen them yet, but they've been delivered. I'm hoping they look OK!!

I did return a huge Pottery Barn wall unit once, because I was able to find a similar thing at a town yard sale for $30 (plus a can of paint). So you can return things you're not happy with.

I think brick and mortar retail will really shrink, but I do have faith and hope that the retailers find innovative ways to draw people in. I'd hate to see it disappear completely! Maybe they can have more "paint and sip" type things, or entertainment/shopping. Or maybe they'll up their service model to include a manicure while you're waiting for your clothes to be purchased and bagged. I think the trend towards experiences has to start dovetailing with retail for retail to survive.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Jeppy: If I were looking for something like the room divider, I would order online from someone with a local presence since you can typically return to the store if necessary and avoid a return shipping fee.

Thread Information