Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What data should we keep?

Quote Originally Posted by KayLR View Post
    I often wonder why I take my genealogy so seriously. I doubt my daughter will care much about it after I'm gone. But, maybe her daughter or someone along the line later will be curious about the family like I am, wishing to make a connection to the past.

Next month DH and I are taking a trip to the Midwest to search out family traces again. I'm drawn to one great grandfather for some reason. I want to see where he lived and speak to his gravestone. It's a strong urge I can't explain.
    Those oldsters can be interesting! If you’ve done solid genealogy research yes do document at all and save it for your descendants. Somebody coming up will want it. Off and they’re not interested until after they get well into adulthood.

I've gone through about 4/5ths of the physical photos and albums, and have scanned them all. I have a very large external drive that they are stored on, as well as some special trips saved on various sd cards for both storage and to be displayed in a digital frame.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Data is cheap/free, and getting cheaper everyday.
    Network bandwidth, same.
    CPU capacity, same.
    Search & image recognition algorithms - same.

I'm saving everything, life is too short to spend finite seconds of my life worrying. If my descendants or any other researchers care, things will only become easier for them as time passes, and good luck to them.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Network bandwidth, same.
    CPU capacity, same.

I'm saving everything, life is too short to spend finite seconds of my life worrying. If my descendants or any other researchers care, things will only become easier for them as time passes, and good luck to them.
    I agree. Let some future data archeologist sort it out.

Maybe selfies will be the potsherds of the thirty-fifth century.

*IF* you value a few important images as important images to preserve, you (the generic you) HAVE to curate them by removing them as wheat from the chaff.

Bae and Ldahl have children. Surely you guys value a few key image from your child’s development, images that tell their story, images that will have value beyond your own generation. Yours is a self centered point of view I think. You parents are the custodians of children’s images as children. Share them.

For me, I don’t have children. And I already gathered up family photos of the ancient ones, copied them, and distributed them to various relatives. The archiving work is done here.

My own iCloud stash of thousands of photographs have no value to anyone but me. Therefore, when I expire, I don’t expect anyone to sift through them searching for the gold. There is no gold to be found, the photographs are only kept by me because I like them.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    *IF* you value a few important images as important images to preserve, you (the generic you) HAVE to curate them by removing them as wheat from the chaff.

Bae and Ldahl have children. Surely you guys value a few key image from your child’s development, images that tell their story, images that will have value beyond your own generation. Yours is a self centered point of view I think. You parents are the custodians of children’s images as children. Share them.

For me, I don’t have children. And I already gathered up family photos of the ancient ones, copied them, and distributed them to various relatives. The archiving work is done here.

My own iCloud stash of thousands of photographs have no value to anyone but me. Therefore, when I expire, I don’t expect anyone to sift through them searching for the gold. There is no gold to be found, the photographs are only kept by me because I like them.
    The kid is welcome to sort through it and keep whatever he likes. I doubt it will take more than an afternoon. There simply isn’t that much of it. We never really accepted the proposition that the undocumented life is not worth living.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Network bandwidth, same.
    CPU capacity, same.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I agree. Let some future data archeologist sort it out.

Maybe selfies will be the potsherds of the thirty-fifth century.
    I agree. I am doing/have done tons of photo scanning and saving, etc, but that is because it is a project *I* wanted to do. If anyone else wants it, it's there. If not, it's easily deleted.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I have saved all the photo albums for my kids. Now I just take pictures with my phone and when my phone died I lost them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I have saved all the photo albums for my kids. Now I just take pictures with my phone and when my phone died I lost them all.
    I take all my photos with my phone too but I am pretty good about uploading them to a online site like Snapfish. Then I can print them for something like 7 cents a piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Why don't you back them up somewhere? Android - Google Photos is the easiest. iCloud for Apple. I do iCloud, plus Google Photos, AND MS One Drive. Redundancy.

Thread Information