Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vax Millions

Yppej

Vax Millions

Do you think these lotteries are rigged?

My state has had a big push to vaccinate people of color. In my own city this was the case according to the director of health with whom I corresponded when I was trying to get a shot.

So today's drawing gave prizes to an African-American man (adult prize) and a Latina woman (youth prize). This is in a state that is 80% white and where a higher percentage of whites were vaccinated than either of those two demographics. What are the chances this is just the state trying to get more of the target population to get the shot vs it being a fair and legit lottery?

ETA The man works in health care and throughout the pandemic there's been a narrative about how heroic this sector is for doing their jobs. The young woman is from one of the poorest communities hardest hit by the pandemic, where canvassers went door to door trying to sign people up. Hmmm.

I think anyone who isn’t getting the vaccine while able is silly. We dont need to parse the sillies down to race and etc.

Did any of you get the JNJ vaccine? Are you, if so, thinking about getting a better quality vaccine like the Pfizer?

At this point if I got J and J I would go out and get a Pfizer.

Well, now I see that Pfizer may only be 84% effective after 6 months.

I would go and get a booster next year, if available and if the guidelines recommended it.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Did any of you get the JNJ vaccine? Are you, if so, thinking about getting a better quality vaccine like the Pfizer?

At this point if I got J and J I would go out and get a Pfizer.
    I'm content with my J & J for now--it's not like I'm going out and exposing myself right and left, and this county is 70-80% vaccinated. I will consider a booster down the line. And I'll wear a mask in public.

My Primary Care is out on leave until the 12th. Once he’s back in I plan to schedule a telemedicine appointment with him to discuss whether I should get a booster of one of the mRNA’s. There’s not super urgency since we don’t do much risky stuff typically but I do have to travel to Baltimore for work in late September so if I need a booster I want it far enough ahead of that to get the full benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I'm content with my J & J for now--it's not like I'm going out and exposing myself right and left, and this county is 70-80% vaccinated. I will consider a booster down the line. And I'll wear a mask in public.
    I, too, am content with my Moderna vaccine; will also consider a booster if needed; and still wearing a mask in public/crowds/etc.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    So today's drawing gave prizes to an African-American man (adult prize) and a Latina woman (youth prize). This is in a state that is 80% white and where a higher percentage of whites were vaccinated than either of those two demographics. What are the chances this is just the state trying to get more of the target population to get the shot vs it being a fair and legit lottery?
    Your understanding of statistics is dizzying.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Do you think these lotteries are rigged?

What are the chances this is just the state trying to get more of the target population to get the shot vs it being a fair and legit lottery?
    Rigged, yes. Those already vaccinated are not in the lottery. Legit, well that depends on your viewpoint. Their target population, is the UNVACCINATED. Lotteries are for those that are bad at math.

The lottery in WA State included the previously-vaccinated.

Thread Information