Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Workometer

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    I'm reminded of a woman I used to work with years ago. She was completely oblivious to everything going on in the world beyond her family and friends. And was probably the happiest adult I've ever met.
    Ignorance is bliss, so it's said.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Ignorance is bliss, so it's said.
    “When ignorance is bliss, ‘tis folly to be wise”.

Especially if your source of wisdom is social media.

Yppej
    At the end of the day I will dip from 100 to 99 months left until retirement, barring unforeseen developments.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KayLR View Post
    I'm down to hours now: 4 left. I may take the afternoon off.
    Congrats! Rob

Yppej
    If I could get health care covered through Medicaid (if based on income not assets) I could now retire in theory at 64, in theory being if I can absorb capital expenses like replacement vehicles when needed without raising my average spending. Anyways, on paper it's shaving another year off the workometer which is better than moving in the other direction.

I have an app. 1 year, 8 months, 27 days, 3 hours, 16 minutes, 17 seconds. But who's counting...
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

I recall that the last year before retirement went fast for me. Can't believe it's been almost seven years retired now.

Quote Originally Posted by beckyliz View Post
    I have an app. 1 year, 8 months, 27 days, 3 hours, 16 minutes, 17 seconds. But who's counting...
    Haha, good for you beckyliz!!!

I retired in 2015 and haven’t looked back. And several awful things happened at work after I retired so I’m so glad I got out when I did.

awful things:

1. Entire computer system of the Library hacked and ransomed, closing down system for several days and eradicating a tiny, but important piece of legacy custom software that was essential to my department. While I had been willing to give up this software for years to exchange it for a non-custom product, the changes that would result were not acceptable to others at work. Well, they had to accept them that year, like it or not.

2, big negative story in the news when it was discovered that an employee had been punching the time clock, and then not showing up to work. For years. Not my department’s problem, but a scandal and a big black mark.

3. Drag Queen Story hour, and Donald Trump’s election. These are not things I would’ve had to manage, but they would be things I would’ve had to hear others drone on about during administrative meetings, on and on. Just shoot me.

4. The pandemic. Managing people, resources, incoming shipments, outgoing shipments… with intermittent support services. A nightmare. If I had retired at “normal” age “I would’ve been retiring just a couple weeks after the pandemic hit. It was such a boon for my department that I got out years before and younger people with more energy were in place to manage in that environment.

I’m 54. I can’t get full SS until 67. I’m going to keep working as long as I can. I would be bored at home. Thankfully I have interesting work and it’s a desk job.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    I’m 54. I can’t get full SS until 67. I’m going to keep working as long as I can. I would be bored at home. Thankfully I have interesting work and it’s a desk job.
    You have several outside interests, strong ones. This is an excellent basis for not being bored in retirement. In fact, the way I’ve seen you go after outside interests to become excellent at them makes me think there’s a brand new hobby interest waiting on the horizon for you, something I can’t even guess.

And then there are so many ways to become involved in activities tangential to your current interests, for example: become an instructor in gun certification, volunteer to be a board member in diving organizations, etc etc.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 4-5-23 at 4:04pm.

Thread Information