Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is there a way to declutter household hardware?

Yppej
    You have an impressive skill set Rudan. In the US an apartment you own is called a condo.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudan View Post
    How will I decide which to keep and which to declutter?
    Maybe think of which ones will be easy to obtain if you actually need them later on. Keep 1-3 of the hard-to-get ones and declutter those that you could easily find if needed. Just a thought.

It sounds like you have certainly put in the work to make your apartment to your liking! Congrats.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thank you, and thanks for the education
    Apartment and condo then? I have heard "flat" sometimes aswell, but that seems pretty rare.

I just wish decluttering hardware also was a skill of mine

Yppej
    Flat is a British term.

happystuff: Thank you! I'm really pleased with the outcome.
    That's how I try to think, but I can't decide anyway!
    It's sooo much easier to hold it in my hand and compare them, than just watching them through a plastic packaging.
    Now.. that's just one example, there's a lot of other stuff aswell with the same issue = can't figure out which to keep.

Someone really needs to come up with some rule for this!

Yppej: I see! That's explains it, thanks once again!

Well there is a decluttering 20/20 rule, but I'm not sure I subscribe to it:
    The 20-20 decluttering rule says that if you can replace something for less than $20 and in under 20 minutes, it can safely be decluttered. OUT it goes!
    I guess the underlying premise is sound, that one should consider how easy or expensive it would be to replace something if needed down the line. To that I would add weighing the likelihood that one would need it again.

We can replace nothing in 20 minutes....We're 20 minutes from any stores, so that strict time won't work, but I can see the point. I was just in the basement looking for primer and found Dry Lock paint for the basement. I was thinking we needed to get some and voila! There it was.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Well there is a decluttering 20/20 rule, but I'm not sure I subscribe to it:
    The 20-20 decluttering rule says that if you can replace something for less than $20 and in under 20 minutes, it can safely be decluttered. OUT it goes!
    I guess the underlying premise is sound, that one should consider how easy or expensive it would be to replace something if needed down the line. To that I would add weighing the likelihood that one would need it again.
    Yeah that's right, I remember now! But following that to the fullest would mean getting rid of every single screw..
    As you said before, you need some various screws and stuff at home.
    The only place I can shop and be home again in 20min is a small grocery store and a gasstation.
    Going to a hardware store would take me like 45min, and of course, they're only open daytime.
    That last line of yours is what I'm after, a way to decide "the likelihood that one would need it"

Quote Originally Posted by nswef View Post
    We can replace nothing in 20 minutes....We're 20 minutes from any stores, so that strict time won't work, but I can see the point. I was just in the basement looking for primer and found Dry Lock paint for the basement. I was thinking we needed to get some and voila! There it was.
    I do that all the time, but then there is some stuff I haven't used for 10 years..
    You can be sure that if I throw it out today, I will need exactly that next week!
    And that's what makes it hard making good decisions about hardware stuff..

It's so weird, I open my wardrobe and just throw out all the clothes I haven't used for a while.
    And then I do the same with electronic, toiletries, kitchen stuff etc without any hesitations.
    But when I take out the hardware boxes I totally blackout.. so frustrating!

Thread Information