Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: August Purge

So here is the story of a weird little guerilla decluttering project I've got going on. The small house across the street from us was owned by Mr. & Mrs. O. Mr. O died about 20 years ago, leaving Mrs. O alone in the house. Several years ago, she apparently developed dementia, and her sister-in-law moved in to help take care of her. Eventually Mrs. O went into a nursing home and then passed away maybe 3 -4 years ago. SIL has occupied the house since then, and made some updates, replacing the front door and a few windows. She seemed like a sweet woman and the neighbors all pitched in with lawn mowing, leaf cleanup and snow shoveling. About 6 - 8 months ago, SIL vacated the premises. We were told by a neighbor that SIL had dementia and had gone into a nursing home. SIL had a grandson who came by to help her occasionally, but he lives a couple of hours away. Neighbor apparently talked to him when he came to pick up SIL's possessions, and neighbor's impression was that he would not be back again because house is still in Mr. O's name and grandson has no ownership or expectation of ownership of the house. We are guessing that the house might be vacant for quite some time.
    Anyway, SIL had done some decluttering a few years ago, and just piled crap in the driveway (apparently Mrs. O was quite a packrat). It's part of the view out my kitchen window. It doesn't make me crazy or anything, but it's not a pretty scene and I would prefer that the pile of crap wasn't there. I told my intentions to the abutting neighbors, and they had no objections, so DH and I are starting to tackle the pile of crap. Last week, DH put out a barrel of rotting garbage that was in the driveway. This week I filled 3 bags with small crap and 1 large item with a green $2.00 sticker, which is required in our town for disposal of larger items. The plan is to chip away until it's gone. I figure I can bankroll this project.
    I'll admit that I do have a tiny bit of trepidation, because I have no authority whatsoever to do this, but it's really crappy crap, so I feel like the risk is low enough that anyone will ever care. There was a particleboard desk that DH touched and it collapsed into several pieces, because it's been sitting in the rain and snow for several years. There were lots of old plastic plant pots filled with water, so it was also mosquito hatchery. As a retired person who is reasonably able-bodied, I figure this is my little beautification project on behalf of my neighborhood.

Yppej
    Good for you RR. In his earlier retirement my dad used to clean up pine needles from a messy house down the street that got all over the road and made it slick. No one ever objected. Instead other people on the street also pitched in to help.

Rosa, you are doing the right thing. Cleaning up your little corner of the universe is a good thing.

Rosa, I think that’s very nice of you.

Yppej
    When DS is mad with me he will not take anything from me (other than the roof over his head). So some foods I got for him have been sitting in the freezer for a couple months. I started eating them last night.

I noticed he bought a bunch of trash bags, not wanting to use mine, which is hopefully a sign he will be cleaning up some of his mess soon.

So a few days ago I have a dream that I have a storage room attached to my condo. When I open the door it’s huge and full of my ex’s junk. I immediately start figuring out how to get rid of it. Ugh!!

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    So a few days ago I have a dream that I have a storage room attached to my condo. When I open the door it’s huge and full of my ex’s junk. I immediately start figuring out how to get rid of it. Ugh!!
    That is sad/funny.

I said it was a nightmare and one of my friends called it a “mikemare.” She also labeled him the junk master. My friends were all laughing. I do have a storage space on my balcony but it’s small and not full. In my dream it was huge and bigger than my condo.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I said it was a nightmare and one of my friends called it a “mikemare.” She also labeled him the junk master. My friends were all laughing. I do have a storage space on my balcony but it’s small and not full. In my dream it was huge and bigger than my condo.
    Did you have the dream after the IL post about having the garage bigger than her house, dwarfing the house? That was a visual that stuck with me.

RR, when you started out using the word 'guerilla', I wondered what was coming. Sounds like a good project for the neighbourhood's benefit. Sad when a property gets lost in the transition stage between former and future ownership.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Thread Information