Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Defeatism Vs Realism

Yppej
    I am more interested in eliminating the bed frame than the box spring. It gathers dust and I hate having to clean under it all the time.

How capable are you, building wise? There is a site called instructables as well as Ana White (the one I told my sibling about), and a few others, where people have built a Murphy bed. There are ones where you don't need a box, as well as ones you do, but both would allow you to hide the bed and easily vacuum underneath it and give you more space when needed.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Since we are talking about mattresses, who here has one of those mail order mattresses that is NOT placed on box springs? I am thinking about getting one and perhaps not placing it on box springs. I may need a custom size.

As I have said before, most "box springs" are not that. They are a box, ONLY, with no springs. I have a platform bed that uses slats, over a drawer. There are others that have plywood that covers drawers underneath, that is better for dust control. When my niece bought her first house last year, she bought a new mattress, and looked at new beds. Some of them, did not use "box springs" as the frame was a box.

Also, what I have seen in the last year, those mail order mattresses are now sold in stores (here, Sam's club, Big Lot's, etc).

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    How capable are you, building wise? There is a site called instructables as well as Ana White (the one I told my sibling about), and a few others, where people have built a Murphy bed. There are ones where you don't need a box, as well as ones you do, but both would allow you to hide the bed and easily vacuum underneath it and give you more space when needed.
    Not very handy.

I have hardwood floor not carpeting so I would not be vacuuming.

I also want the old mattress and box spring hauled away.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I have been using a no-boxspring mail-order mattress for several bedrooms in the house, and they work fine.

I think the box spring is part of the whole "scam" business.
    I can see that. The boxspring elevates the bed and for some people they need that elevation, but that could be accomplished another way and doesn’t need the springs part.

I want to build a bed into the alcove of my Hermann house and I don’t know yet if it is a standard length or if it’s slightly shorter. It’s on the cusp of standard length of a full-size mattress. If it’s slightly shorter than The standard full size mattress, DH will have to build a platform for it. I’m not exactly keen on that because I would prefer it to be on a standard metal base with yes, a standard boxspring only so that I can roll it out to get behind the bed every couple years to clean and etc.

So I’m waiting for all construction to be done in that room and thenI’ll start careful measuring.

But just circle back to the possibility that the space is slightly shorter than a standard full-size mattress, I figured I could have a mattress made to my exact dimensions and then this day and age that should not be expensive. But I don’t know I haven’t priced it.

I have had 2 awesome mattresses. One was handmade by a mattress maker. Watching him work was fun. He would have a mouth full of tacks and spit them out as needed. That mattress and box spring lasted 35 years. The next is our sleep number bed that we used for 15 years and my ex is still using.

My chiropractor has been using his for 22 years. I bought a queen size sleep number since it was only 100 more than the double. It adjusts while I am sleeping to keep everything perfect for my needs. All 3 worth every dime. My cheap mattresses not so much.

Thread Information