Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Aging Mother

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I just recently realized that we're all going to die. A quick heart attack is not the worst way; I've had two relatives just keel over. None of us lives forever.
    I agree. A quick death is what everyone wants. I tell my husband all the time that I want to wake up and realize I am dead. Or just have him "Kevorkian" me and put me out of my misery.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I just recently realized that we're all going to die. A quick heart attack is not the worst way; I've had two relatives just keel over. None of us lives forever.
    I'll take a quick heart attack over a protracted, miserable bout with Alzheimer's or just plain end-of-life-fatigue. It's nice if your will and your body are in tune with each other, but it's not often the case.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I have chronic pain from auto accidents but moving definitely keeps me feeling better in the long run. Both daily walking and my yoga class are helpful. But I have always been a walker. Really canít make anyone do anything.

Klunick, your mom sounds exactly like how my mom was. She would likely still be here if only she had decided to move more, take a daily walk. She had no other illnesses and it only hurt to move because of her sedentary life. It was a slow, frustrating thing to watch. She eventually died from sepsis, from a sore she developed on her butt because she never moved off of it. Yes, I do sound bitter, because I am. She had all the kind encouragement she could get from us and her doctor, to no avail.

I think of her every day as I make the decision to go walk, go to the pool or gym, because I am otherwise healthy and I want to stay active as long as I can.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Where i live, assisted suicide can be an option.

Admittedly, I'm not an eager exerciser, but I've never found that moving more does anything for me, even though I walked quite a bit in the past.

There are lots of types of dementia. I visit a message board on www.alzconnected.org (associated with the Alzheimer's Association). Lots of good information and support there.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

I used to say there was a Mack truck out there with my name on its bumper - lol. Now-a-days, who knows. If I didn't have to get up and go to work, I don't know if I would sit all day or not. I like to think that I would be out doing stuff instead of sitting.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by beckyliz View Post
    There are lots of types of dementia. I visit a message board on www.alzconnected.org (associated with the Alzheimer's Association). Lots of good information and support there.
    Thanks, Beckyliz, I need to take a look there for help with my mom's situation.

And then there are elders like my MIL whose body is totally decrepit while her mind remains clear and sharp. How she continues to thrive mentally while sitting in her assisted living room watching TV all day year after year is a mystery to me.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I'll take a quick heart attack over a protracted, miserable bout with Alzheimer's or just plain end-of-life-fatigue. It's nice if your will and your body are in tune with each other, but it's not often the case.
    I am working toward that goal and today added cream to my otherwise very healthy homemade tomato soup with home grown tomatos.

gotta clog up those arteries.

Thread Information