Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you save boxes that stuff comes in?

Do you save boxes that stuff comes in?

DH inherited a habit from his dad of saving the boxes and packing materials that new products come in. For example, I just found a large empty box in the back of the closet that held a new computer monitor purchased three years ago. Other boxes abound here and there stored away on shelves and closets - all empty. I see the value of having the perfectly fitting boxes when you move, but storing all these empties takes up a lot of space. I would like to recycle them but wondering what the consensus is on saving original packaging.

The closet of DH is jampacked with no room left for anything. On the very top shelf there’s a small pile of boxes that I have used in the past. But since recycling came into effect here, I can go outside to the big dumpster behind my house and usually find a box the size that I need. When I was doing eBay sales last year that’s what I used.

I wouldn’t save them any more. If you can’t find used boxes, those boxes from the post office are pretty useful, the ones that you can pack stuff into and sand for $8.xx

FedEx and UPS may have similar boxes when you walk into the lobby, I don’t know.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    The closet of DH is jampacked with no room left for anything. On the very top shelf there’s a small pile of boxes that I have used in the past. But since recycling came into effect here, I can go outside to the big dumpster behind my house and usually find a box the size that I need. When I was doing eBay sales last year that’s what I used.

I wouldn’t save them any more. If you can’t find used boxes, those boxes from the post office are pretty useful, the ones that you can pack stuff into and sand for $8.xx

FedEx and UPS may have similar boxes when you walk into the lobby, I don’t know.
    In the last two houses, we have had barns and so put the empty boxes in the barn. I just today pulled out a saddle from a box in which a saddle was shipped back in 2010, with an address from two houses ago, so yes, we do save them for things like monitors, saddles, and violas. Not so much for small things.

I keep the boxes for the length of the warranty period. Most sellers prefer shipping back to them in the original containers. I tape the receipt to the outside of the box so it doesn't get lost. The boxes go into the "attic" which is a closet on the second floor. I occasionally go through and weed out the old boxes.

Yeah, we kept all our Apple boxes. As a matter of fact, I currently have a big iMac box in my office, empty, because I'm borrowing DH's computer he never uses, and I haven't gotten around to sticking the box back in the shed. But I have been thinking, why don't I just get rid of it?? At this point, I might. The computer is 5 years old.

Otherwise, I might keep them for a short period of time, similar to herbgeek. Then ditch them.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I have saved boxes for computer equipment and home entertainment systems. The rest goes to the recycle center.

No I don't keep boxes, unless I actually have an immediate need for a box. Otherwise into the trash they go.
    If you want something to get done, ask a busy person. If you want them to have a nervous breakdown that is.

I like Herbgeek's approach. I find that I flatten the boxes upon receipt and then they take little space.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I'm another one that saves computer and some electronics boxes. Not many, but some. Have a child that resells items, who says having the box raises the prices just a bit. I guess people like to buy used stuff AND the box it came in. LOL.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

DS saves them. There are hundreds in the house. I would throw them out if they were mine, but he is the one who order online.

Thread Information