Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Eviction Moratorium

Eviction Moratorium

I see the eviction moratorium will be extended, at least partially. The President has said he’s doing it even though it probably won’t pass constitutional muster, reasoning that it will at least extend the program until the courts shut it down.

We have now evolved from selective enforcement of the law to simply ignoring it until you get stopped, oaths of office notwithstanding.

Yppej
    I thought the extra unemployment was so people could pay their rent and other bills, but it looks like a lot of them never did. There is a shortage of various consumer goods - could it be shortsighted people think the government will support them forever if they keep crying Covid and they can spend the money on goodies rather than something as mundane as rent?

I believe the thinking on this one is "I know it's almost certainly unconstitutional, I know the courts will overturn it, I know it violates my oath of office, but the midterms are coming up next year and I owe Nancy a favor."
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Isn't that "string it out in the courts indefinitely" a hallmark of Trump's modus operandi? He's doing it now with his taxes.

By all means, turn the rabble out into the streets--you can never be too rich or have too many homeless.

People are making more money on unemployment. Why go out and get a job when you can stay home and get paid more?? Help Wanted signs all over my area because of it. At least when youngest gets his license, he won't have trouble getting a job to pay for gas and insurance.

Well because a long gap on a resume looks bad. I mean I've had several years worth of savings in the bank and stressed (stressed too much, it caused health problems) being unemployed and I'm supposed to believe some far more temporary government benefits make people indifferent. But that assumes you care about a resume, for minimum wage jobs maybe not, and that is probably much of what is available. I mean there actually is no point in making a big deal out of a job that won't even pay the bills.
    Trees don't grow on money

The extra stimulus will be over in just a couple of weeks. My philosophy is, if the pool of people it helps is larger than the pool of people who abuse the system, I'm all for it. As far as the eviction moratorium, yes, the extra money was to help people pay bills, but $300 a week barely eeks out necessities for most people. The low middle class and poor didn't ask for COVID. Should those in desperate need be ignored because a few people game the system? Who benefits more from gaming the system--the poor or the wealthy? Hmm.. let me think.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    The extra stimulus will be over in just a couple of weeks. My philosophy is, if the pool of people it helps is larger than the pool of people who abuse the system, I'm all for it. As far as the eviction moratorium, yes, the extra money was to help people pay bills, but $300 a week barely eeks out necessities for most people. The low middle class and poor didn't ask for COVID. Should those in desperate need be ignored because a few people game the system? Who benefits more from gaming the system--the poor or the wealthy? Hmm.. let me think.
    For a significant portion of the pandemic it was $600 not $300 a week extra. And that is on top of regular unemployment compensation. It is not that people only got $300 a week and that didn't cover their necessities.

And let's see if it really ends in a couple weeks or if the chant of "Delta! Delta!" keeps it going.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I know! Money. When it belongs to the taxpayer it has no meaning, just throw it away.
    And Trump was as bad as any of his predecessors.

making laws that are not going to hold up in court, that’s just the game everywhere. It’s happening in my state legislature and I wish the axxhxxxs would go home rather than making law that clearly is “statement law “not actual law.

But then I remember that’s all the power they have is to make law. They cannot do anything else, all they can do is create laws. Well, they can also repeal them but they hardly ever do that.

I think Reagan was the one that said "a rising tide floats all boats." I know his meaning was different from mine (his meaning: If I give large handouts and low taxes to the wealthy, the prosperity will "trickle down" which really didn't pan out) but I take it to mean that if we all help each other out, we all benefit. I pay my taxes, and a lot of them, and I have no problem with it--only the part that goes to an inflated military budget. But we're all in this together, or at least that's the way I see it.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information