Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: You know you're living a simple life when....

You know you're living a simple life when....

... You make your own ice cubes.

My NJ grandsons are visiting this week, and they came to the house last night. My 7-year old GS asked for water so I got him a glass of tap water with ice cubes. I left the ice cube tray on the counter. He came in to get the water and picked up the ice cube tray and asked, "what's this?" Then it dawned on him, and he asked me incredulously, "You have to MAKE your own ice cubes?"

I didn't realize I had reached such a high level of radical simplicity!!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Yppej
    You use Oalley to map out a one hour radius from your home to locate places to visit for an upcoming vacation.

Even more incredulous: when we go to Switzerland our relatives thoughtfully buy ice cubes from the store for their American guests because they know we must have ice. Yes you can buy ice cubes in a Swiss store.

Your beverage of choice is mainly hot tea with milk - morning, noon and evening or water without ice. No soda, wine, beer or other beverages, etc.
    Favourite spot to relax? My lounger in my garden patio.

Enjoy your little guys!
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    ... You make your own ice cubes.

My NJ grandsons are visiting this week, and they came to the house last night. My 7-year old GS asked for water so I got him a glass of tap water with ice cubes. I left the ice cube tray on the counter. He came in to get the water and picked up the ice cube tray and asked, "what's this?" Then it dawned on him, and he asked me incredulously, "You have to MAKE your own ice cubes?"

I didn't realize I had reached such a high level of radical simplicity!!
    AND you ran water from the tap!!!! My granddaughter was flummoxed by our refrigerator which didn't dispense water OR ice cubes!
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

...when you're the only couple/family you know with one car.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    ...when you're the only couple/family you know with one car.
    Agreed. This is a big one.

We know one couple who made do with one car for decades and they were both working although now they’ve been retired for quite a while.

Only use a cell phone when we are on the road.... for emergencies. We both were tethered to phones while working and have no desire to have one on and have to keep charged. I am sure in a short while this will no longer be tenable because now everywhere they want a cell phone number or show even boarding passes on the cell phone. We are holding off as long as we can.....

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    Only use a cell phone when we are on the road.... for emergencies. We both were tethered to phones while working and have no desire to have one on and have to keep charged. I am sure in a short while this will no longer be tenable because now everywhere they want a cell phone number or show even boarding passes on the cell phone. We are holding off as long as we can.....
    Interesting as I was of the same mind for years.

I am now looking at Bluetooth connection for my cellphone which is long overdue and scrapping the home phone. My iPhone has so much use during my day with few actual phone calls - calendar for appointments, weather forecast, camera, pedometer, map app (love this!!!!), contact list, kindle, news, email, message centre, blogs, podcasts, wallet, lots of helpful apps and so on. I can now understand why cell phones are in such demand. When my cable internet installation was completed last month once restrictions lifted for technician's entry into my home, the technician advised that most of his customers have switched to cell phone only. I was surprised at first but then realized how much I have changed. My phone goes with me everywhere.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I continue to hate my cell phone… I have no desire to upgrade from an Apple S6 because I don’t know what I would get out of it.

Thread Information