Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Strong warning to use two factor authentication

Strong warning to use two factor authentication

Friend of mine who uses FB for her business had her personal account hacked. They somehow got the business account, too. Friend did NOT have two factor authentication enabled. The hackers did enable it.

So for any account that has the feature - social media, banking, shopping, etc.- enable the feature.

I guess I havent worried about a personal FB account being hacked.

is it 2 factor or3 factor?

one banking account I use wants an account number, a company number, a password, and ao etimes a passcode trexted to my cell phone.

It’s two factor.

I’m very careful with mine. Given it’s how I conduct and arrange a lot of my diving, you can be sure I don’t want to lose mine.

2-factor is a bit maddening though, as it seems everytime a device's OS or browser gets an update, you have to reauthorize, it doesn't recognize it as the same system.

Bother.

Bae, totally agreed on that!

Yppej
    We were going through some papers of my grandfather's today including a letter he got in the mail with his train itinerary, trip price, and meal plan. Those were the good old days!

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    We were going through some papers of my grandfather's today including a letter he got in the mail with his train itinerary, trip price, and meal plan. Those were the good old days!
    What does that have to do with the subject?

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    What does that have to do with the subject?
    It is making reference to the days when there was no security, or security was different for information.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    It is making reference to the days when there was no security, or security was different for information.
    We had multi-factor security back then too.

The chair is against the wall. John has a long moustache.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    These simple options are still available today. Each of us can simply print it out or not. Two factor code is not needed for these travel arrangements today in my experience. My travel agent can email, snail mail or drop them off to my house or I can pick up the info.

Banking with two factor as in Tradd's OP is whole different kettle of fish which impacts one's business and personal assets and access to them. I agree that updating the contact info as Bae mentions is a pain. I use a password manager and a totally separate email address from any any social links plus two factor verification.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Thread Information