Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Autumnal Equinox

We have two kinds of criteria, the house itself, and the location. Right now we are mainly working with location criteria, scouting out areas we like and don't like. Here is what we are finding:

1. We both do poorly in heavily wooded areas.
    2. We both love open meadows.
    3. Neither of us wants to drive windy mountain roads in winter. I don't want to drive them in summer.
    4. Prefer to live within 10 minutes of a grocery store and hardware store.

5. Would love to be within 15 minutes of sizeable water.
    6. Would love to have a decent library, church music program, and vintage movie theater.
    7. Prefer historic areas.
    9. Would like an area with other retirement age people, but a mix of ages is very good.
    10. Prefer to live in an area without Trump signs.
    11. Nice to be within half an hour of Lowe's or home depot.
    12. Prefer to be within 1.5 hours from family, but will consider up to 2.5 hours.
    13. Must be affordable.

Yppej
    Tybee I am in a very blue state and see Trump signs even in liberal towns. I think Trump supporters are just more vocal. I have seen one Biden sign but multiple Trump signs and flags in my area. It is not indicative of the way the area is politically. If you are looking for liberal sentiment watch for Black Lives Matter signs and flags. I have seen quite a few of those, but Biden just doesn't seem to generate any enthusiasm.

Razz: Interestingly, where I live now checks all your boxes. Our house would definitely need modifications though if we decide to stay here for the long haul.
    Tybee: I live in a red town in a blue state. I pass a couple of Trump signs on my daily walks and a lot of "Blue Lives Matter" signs. Where I live would check many, but not all of your boxes. It's certainly becoming less affordable every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    We have two kinds of criteria, the house itself, and the location. Right now we are mainly working with location criteria, scouting out areas we like and don't like. Here is what we are finding:

1. We both do poorly in heavily wooded areas.
    2. We both love open meadows.
    3. Neither of us wants to drive windy mountain roads in winter. I don't want to drive them in summer.
    4. Prefer to live within 10 minutes of a grocery store and hardware store.

5. Would love to be within 15 minutes of sizeable water.
    6. Would love to have a decent library, church music program, and vintage movie theater.
    7. Prefer historic areas.
    9. Would like an area with other retirement age people, but a mix of ages is very good.
    10. Prefer to live in an area without Trump signs.
    11. Nice to be within half an hour of Lowe's or home depot.
    12. Prefer to be within 1.5 hours from family, but will consider up to 2.5 hours.
    13. Must be affordable.

Lawrence, Kansas *maybe not #12
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

OK, here is my list:
    • Buy new mattress and box spring
    • Stain outdoor furniture (carried over from last challenge)
    • Initiate making plans to get together with a couple of long-time girlfriends who are eager to spend some time with my mom before she declines much further. Mom is a very social animal, and now she cannot really socialize on her own, so I need to get more involved in her social activities (sigh). That is not a favorite thing for my introverted self, but I remind myself that this woman basically devoted her whole life to the happiness and well-being of me and my sister, and that helps me step up to do what I need to do, even when it's against my natural inclination.

Rosa, what a great thing to do with/for your mom!

Eliminated another whole area today, but want to hit a third area later this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Rosa, what a great thing to do with/for your mom!

Eliminated another whole area today, but want to hit a third area later this week.
    What a great time to go exploring and seeing the countryside in sunny weather, Tybee.

RR, you are getting to spend time with interesting people with a lot of history and perspectives to share. You might be surprised! I make this observation after my group of friends have decided to share a personal life history which may include birth, family, education, special events and goals going forward. What we are discovering about each other is fun and a total surprise. It forced me to write the story of my life in which I recalled the mentors mentioned in another thread and realized that my life was different and is interesting as are the stories of the other members.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by beckyliz View Post
    My friend's kids moved there!

I am impressed with the "where to live" lists. I never really thought to make one, but it certainly makes sense to do so!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by beckyliz View Post
    I lived in Wichita back in the early 80's. Have to admit it was a nice size for a city. Plenty to do, but still able to get out into the country pretty quickly and easily. I'm guessing it has built up quite a bit since then, though.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thread Information