Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Playing nicely in the sandbox with others

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeParker View Post
    The main problem with this forum is that far too many of the most frequent posters (and you know who you are) spend way too much time in the bottom three layers of this pyramid and are far too eager to read anything they disagree with as though it was written with the worst possible tone and intent.

Attachment 3908

The other problem is that people often say totally incorrect things, and no one has the balls to correct them because they know they'll get slammed with responses that are almost totally in the bottom three layers of that pyramid. Worse yet, even when people post messages agreeing with the incorrect information, no one stands up and says "What you just said isn't true". Why? Probably because they're afraid of the flame war that will result if they speak up.

That's why I went into deep lurk mode and never post here anymore. Someone accused me of leaving because I "couldn't stand the heat", but after spending most of my life in warehouses and construction sites, I assure you I can both stand and generate more heat than most of you have ever encountered. I simply choose to not engage in pointless arguments or post in forums where people routinely berate me for things I've never said, positions I don't hold, or attitudes I don't have. Various people here have done that simply because they read everything they disagree with as though it was written in the worst possible tone and with the worst possible intentions.

If anyone wants concrete examples of what I'm talking about, keep reading. Otherwise good bye, and thank you for reading this far. Responses to this post are welcome and will be read, but I won't respond to them for the reasons I just stated.

Here is a perfect example of obviously incorrect information that someone agreed with and nobody challenged:

Facebook and other social media are not government departments or government entities, nor were they "authorized" to do certain things. They are companies and the question being debated by government at all levels is this: Should they be treated like newspapers and other publications that can be held responsible for what they publish (including the content of the letters to the editor column) or should they be treated like telephone companies and ISPs that are simple pipelines and bear no responsibility what their customer transmit, or do we need to make new laws defining social media as a new creature with partial responsibility and partial immunity?

And this thread is an example where a reasonable (but cliched) statement was made, I posted a polite logical reply, and happystuff posted a snarky reply claiming the first line of my post was actually saying the opposite of what it said:

I said what I said and I stand by it. I write and think in a journalist or academic style. The first line states an opinion or replies to what someone has said. the following lines explain in detail why I hold that opinion. And the final lines acknowledge potential counter arguments and explain why I disagree with them. If a person disagrees with my first line and wants to reply, they should at least read far enough to be sure they understand what my first line meant why I hold that opinion. If instead they post a snarky reply saying they only read the first line because they think the rest of my post is just me "rambling on", then they deserve and will get a snarky reply.
    I miss your contributions, George.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    In that case I would think they would just not read the post. When they attack the poster I think it is out of a sense of inadequacy.
    I imagine they start reading the post, see it's a bunch of ramblings, and then move on to another post.

Yppej
    I continue to be surprised by how many people read and react to my posts. People will say they're going to ignore me or not respond, but they just can't help themselves. It reminds me of some of the lyrics from the Eminem song "Without Me":

'Cause we need a little controversy
    'Cause it feels so empty without me

Well, I'm back, na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na
    Fix your bent antenna, tune it in, and then I'm gonna
    Enter in, and up under your skin like a splinter
    The center of attention, back for the winter
    I'm interesting, the best thing since wrestling

Here's my ten cents, my two cents is free
    A nuisance, who sent? You sent for me?

So everybody, just follow me
    I said this looks like a job for me
    So everybody, just follow me

Hi Yppej,

There are definitely those who enjoy arguing with you, including those who were honest enough to tell me so when I asked. I do not. I also don’t enjoy watching it - as my grandmother used to say “take it outside.” (However, as this is not my house I can only take myself outside.)

While I do not think you intended to help me, you did. Making me take a hard look at my decisions was actually much more suited to me than attempting to kindly interpret and evaluate them for me as others have done. I am sorry I have no way to return the favor.

so, when I saw you on this thread, I thought I would come say goodby. If you need to talk to me again, you could try a message. I’m not sure how much I’ll be around, but I’m unlikely to open a thread with your name on it. There are still a few conversations I’m enjoying, but out of frustration I went looking for a new forum and I found one where the homeowner does send people outside, so I’ll see how long they put up with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post
    There are still a few conversations I’m enjoying, but out of frustration I went looking for a new forum and I found one where the homeowner does send people outside, so I’ll see how long they put up with me.
    Chicken lady, I'm also looking around, if you don't mind - would you private message me the new forum? If you don't want to, I will understand. Thanks in either case.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Sad that the mentally ill narcissist is sending folks away.

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    No one gets credit for "sending me away" - lol. My decisions/choices. But I get what you are saying.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    Another doctor in the house making diagnoses! Too bad it's not Dr. Dre. He would appreciate lyrics by Eminem. These ones look like they fit your mean girl post -

"Nowadays everybody wanna talk like they got something to say
    But nothing comes out when they move their lips
    Just a bunch of gibberish"

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Another doctor in the house making diagnoses! Too bad it's not Dr. Dre. He would appreciate lyrics by Eminem. These ones look like they fit your mean girl post -

"Nowadays everybody wanna talk like they got something to say
    But nothing comes out when they move their lips
    Just a bunch of gibberish"
    Sad that this is your response to people saying that you are driving them away from this site. Will you feel pride in your ‘mean girl-ness’ if you succeed in completely driving everyone away from here, or will you be sad that there’s no one left to listen to your pathetic anti mask screechiness?

No one should ever be driven away by any other member because of posts. Just use the "ignore" function on the forum and you can just roll on by. If you find an interest in their opinion later, you can "un-ignore" them easily.

Thread Information