Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: What Did You Succeed in Learning Today?

Yppej
    I learned how to pump up a tire with an inflator kit a while back.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    The whole image, across the entire color frequency range, from the Apple-spec curves to the Fuji ones, which have vastly more color saturation. It's sort of fun to be able to recreate the effect of the old film stocks with a digital camera.
    I dunno bae, that technicolor edit seems too much to me.But I understand if it is about getting a skill rather than producing a better product.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I dunno bae, that technicolor edit seems too much to me.
    Fuji Velvia is like that when you use old school film too: https://www.kenrockwell.com/fuji/velvia-50.htm

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Fuji Velvia is like that when you use old school film too: https://www.kenrockwell.com/fuji/velvia-50.htm
    For the right subject, i can see its use.

Okay---Something relevant--real world, useful and practical. Which is: That new piston rings for the 62 to 67 Chevy 2 194 six, will also fit 58 Packard! But yeah---there is more to the story than that, but that is the main fact

All of the birds with common English names named after people are going to be renamed. So long Cooper's Hawk, Lewis's Woodpecker, Bullock's Oriole, and Clark's Nutcracker. Wouldn't want to offend anyone. They're starting with 80 species.
    "what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" Mary Oliver

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    All of the birds with common English names named after people are going to be renamed. So long Cooper's Hawk, Lewis's Woodpecker, Bullock's Oriole, and Clark's Nutcracker. Wouldn't want to offend anyone. They're starting with 80 species.
    Oh my. That seems unfortunate.
    I am not a serious person.

I learned to play 500. Was told it was difficult but don’t think it is at all. Not a major accomplishment but fun nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Oh my. That seems unfortunate.
    Are you serious? That is a shame. I don't really understand the rationale.

On a related note, I just read an article yesterday about a UVM zoologist who recently had a mouse named after him and he was so pleased, saying that zoologists would rather have their name in italics than in lights. I thought that was cute.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

This seems to be a case of too many birds with names of white people.

According to this NPR article:

That's because the American Ornithological Society has vowed to change the English names of all bird species currently named after people, along with any other bird names deemed offensive or exclusionary.
    "Names have power and power can be for the good or it can be for the bad," says Colleen Handel, the society's president and a research wildlife biologist with the U.S. Geological Survey in Alaska. "We want these names to be powerful in a really good way."

The move comes as part of a broader effort to diversify birding and make it more welcoming to people of all races and backgrounds.
    "We've come to understand that there are certain names that have offensive or derogatory connotations that cause pain to people, and that it is important to change those, to remove those as barriers to their participation in the world of birds," she says.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Thread Information