Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: What Did You Succeed in Learning Today?

It's been a hot topic on the bird forum I follow. As the story goes, the Ornithological Society started to review some of the bird namesakes and discovered purported racists and misogynists. For example, John McCown the Confederate general, or John Townsend (i.e. Townsend's Solitaire and Townsend's Warbler) who stole Native American skulls from graves. There started to be such an accumulation to review and please everyone that they decided to rename them all. The new names will be descriptive of some morphological feature or a region where they are found. McCown's Longspur was renamed, Thick-billed longspur. Some further discussion got into sexists issues. Like the Ruby Crowned Kinglet is named after a feature that only males have. Obviously not all birds are named after people, but there's a lot.

Most of the names were derived from scientists, naturalists, or explorers in the 1800's, and truth be told these were mostly white males for what it's worth.

It's all part of some great renaming. One of our famous 14er's was called Mt. Evans after an early governor who advocated the extermination of Indians. Our state has dozens of creek and mountain names under review. Mt. Evans was just renamed Mount Blue Sky. A local Audubon society was renamed since John Audubon was a slave owner.

If they start getting into insect and mammal names it's going to be a long journey. It can seem like an odd world at times.
    "what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" Mary Oliver

I learned how to use the freight elevator in the Pinkham Building (where we take pottery classes). There are multiple steps involved with latches and grates and weird doors, and it takes most of my strength to open and close them, but then I feel very powerful, lol. It's a very old building and the elevators are like something from an old movie. I won't use the passenger elevator, because the door actively tries to close on you when you are getting in; you need to pry it open and slip through. It's also often out of order, so I really don't trust it.
    I usually favor the stairs, but the studio is on the third floor and we're always carrying stuff, so the elevator sometimes seems like a good idea, and it always feels like an adventure!

well, okay---as knowledgeable and experienced and BRILLIANT as i am(like einschtein), not a day goes by that i don't learn some more brilliant schtuff. but, two weeks ago, at the 4-part bike maintence clinic, i learned a couple things. one, was the answer to a VERY complex issue regarding bikes that you wouldn't even grasp(so i won't go into that), and also the answer to a quession ,asked at the same clinic---by a woman, no less. yup, she axed a quessiom they anwered and even i increased my vast knowledge. it was about the subject of cross-chaining. very germaine. yup. but no, nowhere during the 4 part-series of seminars were the subjects of bromptons or ebikes raised, as none of the attendees are weenies, if you get my drift. ha. also, i and one other participants wore ragbag t-shirts commemorating a bike trip across a vast wasteland, just for fun. yup. hope that helps you kids some. thankk me

okay---i learned the other day that a guy from utah by the name of avard fairbanks was a noted sculptor who developed the dodge ram as the icon for chrysler corp, back in the 1930's yup. hope that helps you some.

Thread Information