Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: What Did You Succeed in Learning Today?

Back On Topic: One thing I've been reminded of recently is how lucky I am that John Denver hit his peak popularity just as I was entering my 20s. Many of his songs spoke to me deeply at that age, especially Sweet Surrender.

Sweet Surrender was recorded in 1973 when I was 23, having a very bad year, and desperately needed to hear exactly this message. Then over the years, seemingly random events kept bringing it back into my life, always at just the time I need to be reminded of it the most.

Lost and alone on some forgotten highway, traveled by many, remembered by few.
    Looking for something that I can believe in, looking for something that I'd like to do with my life.
    There's nothing behind me and nothing that ties me to something that might have been true yesterday.
    Tomorrow is open and right now it seems to be more than enough to just be here today,
    And I don't know what the future is holding in store.
    I don't know where I'm going. I'm not sure where I've been.
    There's a spirit that guides me, a light that shines for me.
    My life is worth the living. I don't need to see the end.

I was lucky enough to see him in concert when I lived in Kansas. He was great!

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I was lucky enough to see him in concert when I lived in Kansas. He was great!
    You would probably enjoy this article about Take Me Home Country Roads https://www.polygon.com/animation-ca...r-of-the-heart

You'd probably enjoy the movie "Whisper of the Heart" too. It's one of my all time favorites. A sweet little adolescent love story. Totally G rated. And it features Take Me Home Country Roads sung in Japanese. Cultural note: In the movie the girl translates "mountain mama" into Japanese as "The mountain is my mother." That's a very Japanese/shinto way of understanding that lyric. It also begins with a totally overdone version of Country Roads sung by Olivia Newton John that I always laugh about.

I just learned that the bass player from a favorite band died last year. The band is Midnight Oil, and they're from Australia. I was lucky to see them in concert a few times and met them afterwards after one show. So when doing some searching online, I found out that they had reunited and recorded an new album recently and toured in 2019. Had I known that maybe I would have gone to see them again. Since they had disbanded many years ago I lost track of them.

It seems many musicians from the 80s are dying and they're close to my age. Pretty scary.

I learned that every type of yucca plant has a specific pollinator moth.

I learned how to remove an old over the range microwave and install a new one. Thank you youtube! We haven't actually done it yet, but looking at ours it appears that the instructions were accurate so it should work fine. If it doesn't and we end up dropping either the old or new one on the floor I will come back and recant my testimony of learning.

I learned that if I drop by my sister's house and say, "I can't stay but a minute, just dropping this off"....I'm just kidding myself.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

I didn't learn this, but I was reminded--how difficult a time many people have just getting through the day due to conditions that destroy their health and quality of life. I'm working on two patient projects this month interviewing 60 people total and so I'm getting a double-whammy of stories of struggle, hardship and pain, and in the face of it acceptance, serenity and generosity of spirit.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

With my new job, my goal is to learn something (anything) new each day. I record it in my journal. For the past six months I have worked only online, that was until 3 of our phone people were out either sick or scheduled off. I had to switch to taking phone calls - I have really avoided this. I just don't think I am ready to be a good customer service person. I was thrown into the fire and as luck would have it I could easily help 90% of those who called. My boss way impressed and I felt good about breaking that mental barrier! With Covid & other sickness going through our office - I feel like I will be spending more time on the phones!

Good for you, Greg. You sound like an excellent employee! Glad you were able to get past that mental barrier.

Thread Information