Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What Did You Succeed in Learning Today?

Had about 5 years where we would go with mil/fil for a week to a camp with cabins along a lake. Loons all over! First trip there was the first time I had every seen or heard one. Looked forward to seeing/hearing them again every trip.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Every year or so I focus on one thing to improve my life or make it easier. One year was dedicated to skin care, last year was perfecting my DIY buzzcut. Now I'm obsessed with shoes, particularly natural barefoot-type shoes. Bunions run in my family and although I gave up wearing pointy toed pumps many years ago, my feet are definitely showing signs of bunions. Almost all of the shoes I wear are flat or low heeled, and mostly quite comfortable.

I've been watching videos and reading blogs. I've been stretching the spaces between my toes; our feet are shoe-shaped instead of our shoes being feet-shaped). Bought a pair of cheap mesh water shoes from Walmart to wear at home; as good as barefoot but protects my feet from the ground. Now my toes feel like they're in a vice in my regular shoes. I'll buy another pair to keep in the car for driving. Bought a pair of Tommy Bahama cloth sneakers that are really wide and very very flat and they feel wonderful. Eventually will buy a real pair of pricey shoes and slowly replace my regular shoes over time.

And I just scored a great deal on Sperry boat shoes and weren't comfy wearing them today. Darn!

Also binge-watched My Feet Are Killing Me! OMG! It's amazing to see the horrible foot ailments these people are suffering from.

It's the year of the foot for me!

Pony mom, I finally, after looking for years, found a pair of sandals that fit like shoes. They are expensive but I walk the dog around 5km or 3 miles every day so needed comfy sandals. Try the ECCO brand. A friend who daily walks 10 km or 6 miles has had the identical pair for the past 6 years.
    You are right, feet are really important.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Year of the feet! I like that. I used to wear ballet shoes around the house but after some plantar fasciitis I've gone to DAWGS slides. I wear an 11 W women's so bought a 10 Men's ( on sale for $25= I see now they are $35 and many out of stock. But, they have good support and leave my toes free! I do calf stretches and bent calf stretches daily that seem to help, too. I wear Sketchers sneakers and have some Danko sandals (they don't provide much support but leave my toes free!) Good luck at improving your foot-feet.

I learned bioluminescent bacteria played a part in the Battle of Shiloh: https://www.scienceabc.com/eyeopener...unds-glow.html

Quote Originally Posted by pony mom View Post
    Every year or so I focus on one thing to improve my life or make it easier. One year was dedicated to skin care, last year was perfecting my DIY buzzcut. Now I'm obsessed with shoes, particularly natural barefoot-type shoes. Bunions run in my family and although I gave up wearing pointy toed pumps many years ago, my feet are definitely showing signs of bunions. Almost all of the shoes I wear are flat or low heeled, and mostly quite comfortable.

I've been watching videos and reading blogs. I've been stretching the spaces between my toes; our feet are shoe-shaped instead of our shoes being feet-shaped). Bought a pair of cheap mesh water shoes from Walmart to wear at home; as good as barefoot but protects my feet from the ground. Now my toes feel like they're in a vice in my regular shoes. I'll buy another pair to keep in the car for driving. Bought a pair of Tommy Bahama cloth sneakers that are really wide and very very flat and they feel wonderful. Eventually will buy a real pair of pricey shoes and slowly replace my regular shoes over time.

And I just scored a great deal on Sperry boat shoes and weren't comfy wearing them today. Darn!

Also binge-watched My Feet Are Killing Me! OMG! It's amazing to see the horrible foot ailments these people are suffering from.

It's the year of the foot for me!
    What are you using to do that?

I have a bunion and have a pair of Saucony walking shoes that are very comfortable. There is room in the toes... I also buy sandals that allow you to adjust the width.

I am making salsa and using my Fagor pressure cooker to can the quart/litre jars. Last year I had way too many failures and couldn't understand why. The pressure cooker handles 4 jars at a time which is perfect for me. DH and I used to do 7 at a time but that is too heavy for so I gave away that pressure canner.

I was told and read online this year that the plastic seal on the snap lids no longer requires boiling to soften because the ribbon of sealer has changed. Simply rinse the lids and use.

I reread the instructions on using this pressure canner and realized that salsa needs an air space of 1 inch in the jar. For years, I have used 1/2 inch with success so never questioned it. I followed both these changes and voila, all four jars sealed perfectly. Success! Have two more batches of salsa to can still.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

frugal-one, I have foam toe spacers from a pedicure. I also just put my fingers between them, which was uncomfortable at first but is now getting a bit easier.

Adult feet should resemble a baby's feet---wider at the toes. Seeing photos of feet that have never worn shoes is interesting. They look like Fred Flintstone feet, very wide with splayed toes.

https://www.somfootwear.com/blogs/ne...nimalist-shoes I haven't tried these shoes; it was the first article that popped up when I googled it.

I'm on my feet over 8 hours a day at work and I wear Skechers work shoes. I also rotate between three different pairs to give my feet a break. Today I walked to and from work in my new flat cloth shoes and OMG my feet went AHHH and just melted when I put them on to go home. Heavenly. And my work shoes are very cushiony and supportive and wide and I thought they were comfortable. But every day I come home with throbbing feet and achy legs. When I get home I lay on the floor with my feet up on a chair to rest them and also to prevent varicose veins.

razz, many times I reread instructions for something and am shocked that I've been doing it all wrong! At some point I read them but strayed from doing something correctly along the way. And their way is much easier and makes more sense. Duh!

Today I learned that bees know by sight which flowers have had nectar sucked out of them. The flowers give off a different ultraviolet look so the bees don’t waste their time sucking on a flower that’s already empty.

I have actually wondered about this every time I watch bees buzzing around flowers thinking to myself that they waste so much energy hitting the same flowers again and again. But they do not.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Today I learned that bees know by sight which flowers have had nectar sucked out of them. The flowers give off a different ultraviolet look so the bees don’t waste their time sucking on a flower that’s already empty.

I have actually wondered about this every time I watch bees buzzing around flowers thinking to myself that they waste so much energy hitting the same flowers again and again. But they do not.
    That is interesting.

Thread Information