Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: What Did You Succeed in Learning Today?

Back On Topic: One thing I've been reminded of recently is how lucky I am that John Denver hit his peak popularity just as I was entering my 20s. Many of his songs spoke to me deeply at that age, especially Sweet Surrender.

Sweet Surrender was recorded in 1973 when I was 23, having a very bad year, and desperately needed to hear exactly this message. Then over the years, seemingly random events kept bringing it back into my life, always at just the time I need to be reminded of it the most.

Lost and alone on some forgotten highway, traveled by many, remembered by few.
    Looking for something that I can believe in, looking for something that I'd like to do with my life.
    There's nothing behind me and nothing that ties me to something that might have been true yesterday.
    Tomorrow is open and right now it seems to be more than enough to just be here today,
    And I don't know what the future is holding in store.
    I don't know where I'm going. I'm not sure where I've been.
    There's a spirit that guides me, a light that shines for me.
    My life is worth the living. I don't need to see the end.

I was lucky enough to see him in concert when I lived in Kansas. He was great!

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I was lucky enough to see him in concert when I lived in Kansas. He was great!
    You would probably enjoy this article about Take Me Home Country Roads https://www.polygon.com/animation-ca...r-of-the-heart

You'd probably enjoy the movie "Whisper of the Heart" too. It's one of my all time favorites. A sweet little adolescent love story. Totally G rated. And it features Take Me Home Country Roads sung in Japanese. Cultural note: In the movie the girl translates "mountain mama" into Japanese as "The mountain is my mother." That's a very Japanese/shinto way of understanding that lyric. It also begins with a totally overdone version of Country Roads sung by Olivia Newton John that I always laugh about.

Thread Information