Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: What Did You Succeed in Learning Today?

I pretty much never change light bulbs anymore. I buy mine from Ikea, hardly an upscale store. Even in my wonky former owner amateur wired kitchen where I replaced the incandescent every few months has not done the same since moving to leds. I have a completely different experience from Jeppy.

I've gotten good deals on good quality LEDs from National Grid. I definitely prefer the warm light, and it looks the same to me as light from incandescent bulbs.

My 150+ year old house with probably some of the original wiring - - does very well with LEDs. I actually have had great success with the ones I've gotten from the dollar store, of all places!!!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I am probably wrong. Pethaps We are using more LED lights than I think. All I know is the most recent ones I bought have a weird cool electric blue cast. I don’t like the light they give out.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 8-20-21 at 11:12am.

IL, I agree that the cool light LED's are not the answer for some rooms but the warm light and sunlight LED's are a delight. They use so little electricity and are expected to last 10 years. I take a used one into the store to ensure that the replacement has the right base as there seems to be a variety of options.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I am probably wrong. Pethaps We are using more LED lights than I think. All I know is the most recent ones I bought have a weird cool electric blue cast. I don’t like the light they give out.
    I have gotten those before and hate them too. The kind I use last a long time. Can't remember the last time I've had to change a bulb on the main floor. Husband lives in the basement so he is responsible for that area. Never had to change the lightbulb in the laundry room and that is 24 years old.

I remember when we put recessed lights in our kitchen and I worried about having to change the LEDs with a stepladder and the electrician told me not to worry--they'd last longer than I will. (Smart a$$). So far he's right.

I don't have a real big issue with them but they don't do well with dimmers
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I remember when we put recessed lights in our kitchen and I worried about having to change the LEDs with a stepladder and the electrician told me not to worry--they'd last longer than I will. (Smart a$$). So far he's right.

I don't have a real big issue with them but they don't do well with dimmers
    That is annoying because i love dimmers.

But in my new abodes I do not have formal dining space in either house so dimmers aren’t as necessary dor the overhead chandelier.. Here in the city I use the dimmer multiple times a day.

Some now are built for dimmers as well.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I just noticed LEDs on Amazon that specifically advertise being dimmable. I love LEDs for the reasons mentioned, and they seem to be improved on constantly.

Thread Information