Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: What Did You Succeed in Learning Today?

Made a "healthy" Black Forest Fudge Cake and now have been researching other healthy option desserts that taste good.

Returned the first batch of LEDs today to the store. The clerk asked why and I told her they are flickering and she said they will not put them back on the shelf so no one else buys them as that doesn't sound safe.

Still have the ceiling fan LEDs and will see how they do once the electrician is out and hooks that fixture back up.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I remember when we put recessed lights in our kitchen and I worried about having to change the LEDs with a stepladder and the electrician told me not to worry--they'd last longer than I will. (Smart a$$). So far he's right.

I don't have a real big issue with them but they don't do well with dimmers
    Our electrician told my mom the same thing when we changed the fluorescents (horrible lighting!) in the laundry room for LEDs. When it was installed we practically needed sunglasses in there until they dimmed a bit or we got used to them.

I have learned how lucky - and grateful - I am. I listen to others and their family situations and it makes me realize how truly blessed, lucky and grateful I am. I have happy, healthy family and extended family members & friends with whom I have healthy and happy relationships. We CHOOSE to care for and watch out for each other, and we CHOOSE to do the same for those we may not even know. I am seeing and learning every day how much kindness and compassion are a part of my life and a part of those around me, and I truly feel blessed. I would hate to be living a life filled with anger, selfishness, hopelessness, etc.

I realize all these things - including kindness and compassion - are individual CHOICES that anyone/everyone can make! It's just that I learn every day (and especially some private events from today), that many, many people DO choose kindness and compassion.

ETA: Sorry, feeling very sentimental today. LOL.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Yesterday I learned there are two different ways to amend the city charter. One is via the city council directly and another is via a citizen's petition.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeParker View Post
    Wow! Just reminded me of the movie! Blast from the past.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    Wow! Just reminded me of the movie! Blast from the past.
    Nadia's Theme (aka "The Young and the Restless") is also from that movie. It's original name was Cotton's Dream and it was written as background for a very sad scene in the movie. If you close your eyes and imagine a lonely child instead of Nadia doing gymnastics, you'll hear the sadness in it.
    Last edited by GeorgeParker; 9-4-21 at 6:02pm. Reason: bad spelling

BTW: The Bless the Beasts and Children movie poster (1971) was obviously based on a popular anti-war poster created in 1966. Anyone of my generation who saw the movie poster instantly recognized the similarity of the two images and mentally registered the fact that "these people are coming from the same place I am."

Beasts and Children Poster.jpg
    War Is Not Healthy.jpg

I certainly recall those posters, and the song..

And, happystuff, thanks for the reminder to be grateful.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information