Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Will cash, dollars and cents type currency disappear soon?

Will cash, dollars and cents type currency disappear soon?

This news article https://www.theguardian.com/money/20...oins-and-notes raised once again the question of going cash-free as a society.

The assumption seems to be that even the homeless, the criminals, etc., have phones to make purchases and obtain services via the internet. I use cash to pay roadside stands for local veggies and fruit, make some cash donations and pay for occasional handyman help.

I receive my bills via email, pay bills and subscriptions online, Do we need cash currency? What do you use it for? When will it completely disappear?
    After I read the article, it struck me that major decisions are being made on the assumption that the internet will be easily accessible eternally. Do you agree?

Some countries like Sweden have surged ahead with going largely cashless but not totally.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I think it’s essential for poor people. I prefer to use cash when dining out with a group of friends. I also like it for small purchases.

A Chinese businessman I know claims that the homeless and the panhandlers in China even have ways to get donations that are not cash.

I work with small hobby groups who do not have Venmo or Square or any of that stuff, so when we pay dues or give donations we give a check or cash.

I went mostly cashless with the pandemic, as I didn;t want to be handling germy stuff. Now I;m back to /some/ cash. Usually at breweries. I'm already paying $7 or 8 for a beer, I think a dollar tip is enough for the 15 seconds they spend pouring it for me. When you go cashless, they have it set up with (typically) 20% as the nominal tip. You can choose otherwise, but you look like a cheapskate. The beertender just had to pour it for me, didn't need to check back to make sure it was ok, didn't have to pour me water or clear the table so 20% seems excessive to me.

Cash ok kinda. But no quarters = no laundry. That's a BIG problem.

And sometimes cards are a fricken pain, say you go to the farmers market, you buy from I don't know 5 vendors, do you really want to process a card charge for all of them? What a pain. Cash is much easier for that type of situation.

In general for small purchases like a few bucks, cash is really much easier. Bah who even wants to review the credit card bill full of $2 charges or something, oh yea I was out of onions ...
    If you want something to get done, ask a busy person. If you want them to have a nervous breakdown that is.

I went pretty much cashless 4 or 5 years ago. My only concern with not having cash is the worry I'll be out and about during a power outage or some other network disruption that makes my credit/debit cards pretty much useless. My wife and I both carry a couple $100 bills in our wallets just for that possibility.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Out of my cold dead hands.

I was at a flea market today and made all my purchases in cash. I don't know if the vendors even took credit, but I'm sure they prefer cash. I usually use cash in thrift stores and for other small purchases as others have mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I went pretty much cashless 4 or 5 years ago. My only concern with not having cash is the worry I'll be out and about during a power outage or some other network disruption that makes my credit/debit cards pretty much useless. My wife and I both carry a couple $100 bills in our wallets just for that possibility.
    no o e can change $100 bills! For small purchases anyway.
    carry 10’s and 20’s

Isn't something like 10-12% of the American population unbanked? Surely they will want to continue using cash. Even venmo ties in to a bank account or credit card. Personally I mostly gave up cash at the start of the pandemic, the last thing being gas stations. But even they are finally getting on board with the chip credit card readers, so I don't have any reason to use cash there anymore except that it's cheaper.

I keep $75-$150 in my wallet at all times. There are a couple of bars that we used to go to in the city that only take cash. While we haven't been in 18 months at some point I'm sure we will. And I keep a couple grand at home in case we need to leave quickly during some sort of disaster where credit cards may not be helpful. I've done that ever since I got stuck in NJ on 9/11 and couldn't get home.

Thread Information