Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bathtub decision

Yppej
    Pinkytoe have you run the your money or your life analysis to see how much time you would have to work to pay for the work if you have it done?

Over the years I've looked at resurfacing the enamel sinks/tubs in this house. What I've read is that it's an okay idea for tubs and bathroom sinks and a bad idea for kitchen sinks, which are far more likely to see hard or sharp items dropped into them or banged into them. Right now we're looking at replacing the main bath tub; 50 years of adults, kids, pets, and whoever knows what else was tossed in there to get washed. It's so scratched that it can't be kept clean any more. But it's enamel on cast iron and getting it out will be a bear, only to be replaced (budget) by something much less durable (or, to me, attractive).

pinkytoe, if you really plan to be out of that house within a few years, I'd consider resurfacing (after asking the resurfacing people if they can do it again). Cheaper than replacing the tub and you'll be out of there before it becomes an issue that someone else can spend money to deal with (they might want a deeper tub or a bath remodel or a different color; let them decide). Otherwise I'd go with a new white tub, avoid scratching it, and call it good.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

My 96 year old bathtub in my condo is in fine shape. Amazing that some of them last this long.It is not a claw foot.

I grew up in Victorian or turn of the century houses with claw foot tubs.

The clawfoots are so pretty, and all I can see now when I look at them is a potential broken hip.

My Savannah grandparents had one until they died, though, and they never broke a hip.

Thread Information