Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Speaking of relationships

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    I do wonder how the homeschooling will end up effecting our society, as a siblings kid, was in a EMT program, where they didn't even get their manuals, until last December (one week before the Xmas break, half way through the program). While the kids "graduated" from the program, I have heard it from that school district that they are no where near qualified that the year before were.
    Also how about those that are homeschooled, by either ignorant family, family that doesn't care, family with internet issues (one sibling lives in the country, internet is so poor, couldn't have multiple people using it at the same time), generally those with no support structure?
    I have a co-worker who is dumber than a box a rocks and just gave up trying to make her kids do their work. If they didn't want to do it, she wouldn't make them. She let them walk all over her. I wouldn't be surprised if they failed. Can't see how they could have passed with as many phone calls this lady got from their schools saying they weren't doing their assignments.... or even logging in for days!!

There is a difference between homeschooling and trying to approximate a classroom based education at home.

I’d love to see studies on homeschooling vs. institutional schooling where they control for economic status, parent involvement, learning challenges (things like dyslexia and autism) and geographic resources before comparing the students.

I personally think parent involvement is key no matter how the kid is getting content.

if you have no interest in your child’s education and communicate that to them, the only difference in the education an uninterested student is going to get is that the one at home doesn’t have a record of failure and you don’t face truancy charges.

if the home is abusive that’s a bigger issue because the kid has fewer adult contacts and less opportunity to escape, but I feel like that is an issue that should be addressed outside of schools. (Visiting home nurses maybe? Somebody who brings you something good just because you have kids?) I don’t have an actual plan, I just think there must be a better one, or ones.

Like a lot of other things that come up for discussion, some like CL talk from experience in both home and school-based learning, others talk from reports, others talk from statistics from the past and the present.

I think that we can all agree that children's education is important but also needs good support from parents, teachers, mentor;, lessons whether in bricks and mortar or virtual with good internet; good health of the children and great examples of success to look up to. I have included some variables in children's education but there are so many more. Bullying whether at home or elsewhere is a large one by itself.

I find it difficult when generalized observations are made on children's education without adding the particular variables that impacted that observation.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post
    I personally think parent involvement is key no matter how the kid is getting content.

if you have no interest in your child’s education and communicate that to them, the only difference in the education an uninterested student is going to get is that the one at home doesn’t have a record of failure and you don’t face truancy charges.
    While my kids were young and in the public schools system, I saw parents at both end of the spectrum - didn't care/help/monitor/etc. to "helicopter" parents that actually did some of the work for their kids!

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    I find it difficult when generalized observations are made on children's education without adding the particular variables that impacted that observation.
    And I believe the variables to be very important. I have several friends who have homeschooled/are homeschooling, but it's not just staying home and studying. They participate in homeschooling groups, community activities, take their own "field trips", etc. And then, again, there are some that just stay home and study...

As Chicken Lady pointed out - parental involvement is a BIG factor.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I totally agree that parental involvement is very important. For some kids school is a haven from a awful home and for others it’s the reverse. I have known people that have homeschooled well. I think if you have a good school it’s important for the kids socially and educationally to go to school.

And I think if you have a good home, a parent who can afford the time and enjoy the ride, and a reasonably healthy community it’s usually important for them socially and educationally not to.

viva la differance.

(also, I will ALWAYS vote to fund the schools. ALWAYS.)

I never vote against more money for the schools.

I didn’t mean to imply you did, I just wanted to be clear where I stand.

i don’t have a lot of patience with homeschoolers and private schoolers who don’t support the schools because “they don’t use them.” Really? What role exactly are you expecting all these public school kids to play in your life?

I voted against more money the year I found out that they were asking for HUGE increases and that 1/2 of the entire salary budget went to FIVE (5) individuals - none of whom were teachers! And this was for a school district which only had an elementary and middle school building, but had a superintendent, and a principle and vice-principle for each school. They were letting teachers go while increasing the superintendent's salary (which was already well over 6 figures), along with the budget manager and a secretary... can't remember who the other two individuals were.

I apparently was not the only one who voted against it, because the budget was not passed that year - at least by the voters.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I have not voted yes in the last couple of St. Louis city schools tax increases.

The per-pupil cost is already nearly the highest in the state. Out of 500 school districts The city of St. Louis school district is number 3 as far as per pupil cost. Their objective results are abysmal.

In the Hermann School District the per-pupil cost is much lower and their test scores and graduation rate is much higher.

St. Louis city schools spend 50% more per pupil than the Hermann schools.

The problem here is not the money.

Thread Information