Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Stocking (and managing) the pantry

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    We are pretty well stocked up. Once every few months I take everything off the food shelves and we figure out what we are getting low on. I like to have at least one backup of oatmeal, ketchup and so on, but with the boho sales we sometimes have two or more. I often take the overflow to the local food pantry.

one thing we had to get control of was the fridge. I tend to cook less often and really use it up. I really hate to waste food.

maybe someone has some ideas on how to avoid packaging waste.

Nice article. Thanks for sharing.

I have no clue about extra packaging. I've been paying a bit more attention to packaging when I'm actually making purchases and, while only sometimes, it becomes a factor in the actual purchase or not.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I’ve also been trying to address the packaging waste up front. Two of the big ones right now for me - because I am producing a lot of my own food - are feed bags and potting soil bags. They can be recycled, but they have to be washed.

it’s frustrating when you have to choose between a food you like and avoiding packaging. You can write the company. Sometimes if enough people do it it helps.

I got a little burnt out and overwhelmed and haven’t put up anything from the garden the last few days.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post
    I got a little burnt out and overwhelmed and haven’t put up anything from the garden the last few days.
    Based on your posts, you have been going like gang-busters on the garden! Definitely take a few days off.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi

Thanks for the positive feedback happystuff.

I got back on the horse today. Picked a ton of stuff and got the dehydrator running with tomatoes again. Dh and I ate fresh squash and carrots for dinner and cleaned some old store bought sauces out of the fridge door.

the tomatoes are fading out - something has been eating them at night and knocking over the stakes - which is hard on the plants, the squash are climbing them, it was really dry, and then we got a ton of rain so a lot of them split. The chickens got an entire 5 gallon bucket full today.

Another round of tomatoes in the dehydrator yesterday.
    started hulling ground cherries for jam.

Chicken lady - how are you dehydrating your tomatoes? Just slicing? Cutting cherry tomatoes in half? I may have a bunch of cherry tomatoes to pick and dry this weekend, but am not sure how I would ultimately use them. Would love any suggestions, tips, etc.

For the cherry tomatoes I halve (or quarter, some of them are nearly an inch in diameter) and dry cut side up until they are almost crunchy. I add them to salads, pizza, pasta, or flatbread and also just snack in them - they are really sweet and tangy.

they just store in a mason jar with a reused lid (not canned) in a cupboard in my basement.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post
    For the cherry tomatoes I halve (or quarter, some of them are nearly an inch in diameter) and dry cut side up until they are almost crunchy. I add them to salads, pizza, pasta, or flatbread and also just snack in them - they are really sweet and tangy.

they just store in a mason jar with a reused lid (not canned) in a cupboard in my basement.
    Thanks. I will try them that way. I store my dehydrated stuff the same as you - mason jars.

Today’s project was the ground cherry jam. Six cups cooked down to three half pints. It was very seedy, but yummy. I’m not sure how it will set yet. If it looks good one jar will be a gift.

Thread Information