Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: “An impressive display of sheer competence”

“An impressive display of sheer competence”

Is how Paul Krugman characterizes the withdrawal from Afghanistan. Tony Blair uses the term “imbecilic”.

Who do you think is right?

They seem to represent the extremes at opposite ends, so I'd say neither. The withdrawal was a reasonable idea, the execution of the plan could tend toward imbecilic.

I agree with Rogar. To early to tell which end of the spectrum it skews toward. Thomas Friedman had an op-ed stating that although it seemed rash and chaotic, the end result is likely to not be as dire as feared--Thanks to the strides made towards bringing the Afghanis to a different kind of life, it will be hard to put the genie back in the bottle--this time around there's social media and other forms of global pressure.

I think the extended presence of the peacekeeping force is something that had to end. We've had every President since Ronald Reagan trying to dictate how Afghanistan should rule its country and spent billions trying to effect that. In my mind it's a Vietnam.

Yes, change is messy. Was Biden naive in thinking we could just walk out and close the door behind us? Yes, probably. I hope he does mitigate the August 31 deadline by continuing to support evacuations, but beyond that, I fear for the lives of the citizens, particularly women and those who supported the previous government, but there's only so much we can do, and it's time, in my mind, to get out.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I don't think the US withdrawal is any problematic than the Soviet one. Too bad we can't learn from other countries. Another example is going into Vietnam after the French bailed.

I agree it is time to get our assets out of Afghanistan but I'm embarrassed and disgusted by the lack of planning, execution and abandonment of our allies in the region. I realize that some plans may have been disrupted by the sheer speed in which the Taliban re-took the country but once that happened we should have adapted and brought in enough resources to send caravans throughout the country to retrieve US citizens and Afghan allies. The whole 'If you can make it to Kabul and past the Taliban checkpoints to the airport, we'll try to get you out of country. But make sure you bring up to $2000 per person to cover our expenses please' approach is a national embarrassment. If that's the way we treat our allies, we don't deserve them.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I see Biden has gone underwater in his job approval rating for the first time. His people seem to be counting on the voters forgetting about it by next year, especially if he can give away a few trillion more dollars in the meantime.

Perhaps intelligence should have foreseen the collapse of the Afghan army, but several pundits have posited that this evacuation will prove to be the most successful in history. We've already transported some 70,000 souls. What is coming out is that the execrable Stephen Miller, with Trump's approval, relegated the SIVs for our allies to the "ignore" file, as witnessed and reported by Olivia Troye, Pence advisor. President Biden seems to be getting undue criticism for things he had no control over--(like the refusal of millions in this country to get vaccinated, and the inevitable surge the Delta variant caused). If we could save all the Afghans who want out, I'd be thrilled, but time and logistics make that unlikely, even with superhuman effort.

Only history will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Perhaps intelligence should have foreseen the collapse of the Afghan army, but several pundits have posited that this evacuation will prove to be the most successful in history. We've already transported some 70,000 souls. What is coming out is that the execrable Stephen Miller, with Trump's approval, relegated the SIVs for our allies to the "ignore" file, as witnessed and reported by Olivia Troye, Pence advisor. President Biden seems to be getting undue criticism for things he had no control over--(like the refusal of millions in this country to get vaccinated, and the inevitable surge the Delta variant caused). If we could save all the Afghans who want out, I'd be thrilled, but time and logistics make that unlikely, even with superhuman effort.
    As they say in politics, “if you can’t shed the blame, spread the blame”.

President Biden took responsibility when he said "the buck stops with me." I found that a refreshing change.

Thread Information