Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: “An impressive display of sheer competence”

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    President Biden took responsibility when he said "the buck stops with me." I found that a refreshing change.
    Agreed.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

President Biden took responsibility when he said "the buck stops with me." I found that a refreshing change.
    I think the fact that Biden was held in contempt by the UK Parliament doesn't bode well for the premise that "the US will once again be respected on the world stage".

When Biden said "the buck stops with me" I think he was just confirming that our lack of honor and integrity is completely on his shoulders. I'm not sure that's something to be proud of.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Agreed.
    +1

Yes, that’s the pose presidents usually strike while their minions and proxies furiously work to deflect responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Is how Paul Krugman characterizes the withdrawal from Afghanistan. Tony Blair uses the term “imbecilic”.

Who do you think is right?
    Both?

we had to get out.

it wasn’t gonna be pretty.

To all the armchair quarterbacks here, what would you all have done differently? Judging from how rapidly events occurred there that the surrender to the taliban had already been put in place well before the troops started leaving so staying any longer would have just been a further waste of the already insane amount of money and lives lost there. In hindsight it turns out that Barbara Lee was right all along when she spoke out against the AUMF shortly after 9/11.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Is how Paul Krugman characterizes the withdrawal from Afghanistan. Tony Blair uses the term “imbecilic”.

Who do you think is right?
    Since I take most anything Krugman says with a grain of salt, I’m not going to believe him. In fact I wouldn’t be surprised if he uttered this about Biden’s actions a month ago, Long before any action took place.That is the narrative he’s going to push so it doesn’t matter what actually happened.

Is anyone here getting many Afghan refugees in their community as a result of this display of sheer competence?

we are. I suppose the thousand afghans will get in my community is the result of the inevitable, whether it was competence or imbecilic action.

I suspect Afghans will make good U.S. citizens, given their relief in escaping a hellhole--especially those who have proven themselves as interpreters and other allies.
    I think Oregon will be hosting some; I haven't heard about Washington.

Come on, people! Sometimes, this polarized thinking scrambles your viewpoints. Check the basic facts aside from the tragic loss of life and impaired lives which are the result of war of any kind.

1.The Afghans got an opportunity to see an alternative way of life. That was the greatest benefit for any troubled society. What they do with the info is their decision.

2.There are a lot of Afghans who now know what is possible but culture and tribal loyalty are primary values dominating their actions.

3. It is an inhospitable country.

4. Pakistan is and was opposing the US and its allies for 20 years by training, funding and supporting the opposition. It now has to decide if it has a tiger by the tail.

5. US intelligence and each US president knew this as did all the other players and their leaders involved.

6. Different interviews with Afghan leaders over the past decade said that once the US and allies left, it would revert to Taliban control. History with Russia verifies this.

7. Once the announcement of withdrawal was made, plans were made by all concerned to evacuate those allies. Many Afghans allies immigrated with US help based on their understanding of facts already mentioned. There are many more but how does any country decide how many and who in such situations. Iraq is another example.

8. News media of all nations now have a change of topic from the pandemic and climate change but it will be catastrophic news as usual.

9. Is there a neat and orderly way of withdrawal under such tragic circumstances? How would you do it?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Thread Information