Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sharing pearls of wisdom

Also (editorial department):

“A burro is an ass. A burrow is a hole in the ground. It is your job to know the difference.” United Press International stylebook

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    “A burro is an ass. A burrow is a hole in the ground. It is your job to know the difference.” United Press International stylebook
    To which I will add:
    A mule is not a donkey and a pony is not a young horse. But everybody seems to forget that (or else they never learned it!)

"let it be"
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

An older family friend who recently passed on in her 90's after several health and life challenges at one time had a sweatshirt with the old motto, "Keep calm and carry on", which I come back to at times. I have been somewhat partial to a Stephen King quote which at one time was posted on my frig., "You can't be safe on a skateboard, man", that seems to have a deeper meaning for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    "let it be"
    Oh, boy. You hit my hot button with that one, Alan. If I ever got a tattoo, which I won't, I would have that quote on one shoulder and on the other, my avatar.

This song really spoke to me in 1970, and it still speaks to me today, and I can say that I saw Paul McCartney in concert performing it on the piano in Philadelphia. It was magic.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Errors are not intentional, people mean well in their actions but too often the screw ups are seen as deliberate.
    And too often the screw ups happen because someone didn't deliberate!

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Thank You for posting this... so many words of wisdom there

[QUOTE=GeorgeParker;391509]To which I will add:
    A mule is not a donkey and a pony is not a young horse. But everybody seems to forget that (or else they never learned it!)[/QUOTE

as a hard core horse person... you are correct... But a " pony" in the horse world is a bit more complicated. You are totally correct on that a pony is not a young horse

Quote Originally Posted by boss mare View Post
    as a hard core horse person... you are correct... But a " pony" in the horse world is a bit more complicated. You are totally correct that a pony is not a young horse
    I assume you're referring to the term "teaser pony" and to people who intentionally refer to their smallish horse as a pony, the same way Harley riders refer to their big motorcycle as a scooter, and similar uses. Yes language is very confusing and diversified, especially when you get into the specialized jargon of any vocation or avocation. But I speak only as an ignorant city boy.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeParker View Post
    I assume you're referring to the term "teaser pony" and to people who intentionally refer to their smallish horse as a pony, the same way Harley riders refer to their big motorcycle as a scooter, and similar uses. Yes language is very confusing and diversified, especially when you get into the specialized jargon of any vocation or avocation. But I speak only as an ignorant city boy.
    LOL Oh Boy LOL A "teaser pony" ( or horse) is a stallion that was used back in the day before technology was here. they were lead up to a mare to see if she was in heat . Mares squat and pee and "wink" their vulvas and squeal if they are " ready" then the stallion that she is to be bred to would be brought out. Ponies were used because they are easier to handle ( 300 to 500 pounds VS 1200-1500 pounds) TMI I know

Thread Information