Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Attack in Kabul.....

Last night at our outdoor patio party at the community garden I talked to two couples who are associated with military bases in Germany. One of them before retiring was a “loader quote which I guess means he packs people onto large cargo planes. He said the cargo plane he worked on held 800 people with them sitting with her back against the knees of the people behind them.

With Afghanis inoculated against Covid at a rate of 2%, that’s a pretty good spreader event.I guess we can all look forward to that as they enter various places including the United States, but not necessarily the United States.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    With Afghanis inoculated against Covid at a rate of 2%, that’s a pretty good spreader event.I guess we can all look forward to that as they enter various places including the United States, but not necessarily the United States.
    The news claims they are tested for Covid on entering the US and go into isolation if they are positive. I don't picture that as a perfect screening system. I have wondered if the Taliban has had Covid outbreaks. They sort of seem like anti-vaccines and masks and medical attention. There are probably bigger issues on their table.

Yppej
    The women should be safe because while they don't wear masks their burkas cover their faces. And it's not oppressive at all to be covered up, it's all based on "the science" right? Or as people here have told me about masks, "It's just another garment."

The burka, the mask - innocuous garments to you, symbols of oppression to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    The women should be safe because while they don't wear masks their burkas cover their faces. And it's not oppressive at all to be covered up, it's all based on "the science" right? Or as people here have told me about masks, "It's just another garment."

The burka, the mask - innocuous garments to you, symbols of oppression to me.
    Brava. I love the creativity shown here.

I have not read all here so this may already have been addressed… I heard in the beginning 70,000 were to be evacuated and just now heard 110,000 have already been evacuated. Seems more was accomplished than what was anticipated??

Yes--it wasn't a perfectly smooth operation, and no one reasonably expected it to be, but it should have been done long ago, and I think it has exceeded expectations.

We need a robust underground railroad to evacuate all the women in the country, or at least those who want any kind of future, and it remains to be seen how that can be done.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    And then again I'm often known to be wrong. Apparently the last military plane has left Afghanistan and our military is OUT. Meaning war over. Wish it bad ended sooner. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    And then again I'm often known to be wrong. Apparently the last military plane has left Afghanistan and our military is OUT. Meaning war over. Wish it bad ended sooner. Rob
    you will never be wrong if you don’t predict the future. That is the key!

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Yes--it wasn't a perfectly smooth operation, and no one reasonably expected it to be, but it should have been done long ago, and I think it has exceeded expectations.
    Exceeded expectations or grossly underestimated the number of people needing to escape? Even some of Biden’s most obsequious media cheerleaders have been critical of how the administration botched the bugout. One pundit compared the recent press releases to an arsonist bragging about the number of fires he put out.

The decision to leave and the execution of the withdrawal are two different things, no matter how desperately people try to conflate them. Clearly the latter was tragically incompetent. Our allies, those left behind, and (if polls are to be believed) the general public don’t seem to have been fooled.

Thread Information