Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Something I don't understand (related to Ida about to hit Louisiana)

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    If you don’t have enough money to move you probably didn’t have enough money to own the house in the first place.
    I bought my house 20 years ago for $56,000. Because of real estate price inflation, it's current market value is $170,000. If I wanted to move I would have to buy a house that cost less than $170,000 and pay mostly cash, because I sure as hell couldn't cover the monthly payments on a $170,000 mortgage with my $20,000/year income.

Watching the National news just now they interviewed two women that had been rescued from their home. One of them said ‘we thought we’d be ok since we live in a two story house so we could go upstairs when the water came in.’ That seems pretty hardcore to me. Basing one’s hurricane survival plan on just going upstairs as the lower floor of your house fills up with water. On the other hand, they DID survive, so maybe they made the right call. Personally I’m incredibly thankful that I have the luxury of an emergency fund so that I can just leave before an event like that.

I would evacuate but Louisiana is very poor.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeParker View Post
    I bought my house 20 years ago for $56,000. Because of real estate price inflation, it's current market value is $170,000. If I wanted to move I would have to buy a house that cost less than $170,000 and pay mostly cash, because I sure as hell couldn't cover the monthly payments on a $170,000 mortgage with my $20,000/year income.
    I bought my house in 1987, and it's creeping up on ten times the price I paid for it--at least on paper. I couldn't begin to afford local house prices today. Coincidentally, my old Beaverton condo that I paid 35K for in 1977 is also going for ten times its original price.

Thread Information