Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: Something I don't understand (related to Ida about to hit Louisiana)

  1. #1
    Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    5,982

    Something I don't understand (related to Ida about to hit Louisiana)

    .....is the following. Why do you believe people who live in areas at high risk of natural disasters - such as New Orleans - once they get insurance money, why do they rebuild in the same area, still at risk of natural disasters? This is something I will never understand. Were it me I'd take the money and start over somewhere not as disaster prone - say Virginia or Montana or Arizona or Nevada or New Mexico or somewhere else, anywhere not as disaster prone.

    Is it that part of their identity is wrapped up in where they live? That's the only explanation I can find that I can begin to understand due to my involvement in my neighborhood - and no worries, I'm not bringing up my zip code again. Do you think this is it, identity wrapped up in where they live? Rob

  2. #2
    Senior Member bae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Offshore
    Posts
    9,809
    Family, friends, jobs, social networks, social capital, ...

  3. #3
    Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    5,982
    Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Family, friends, jobs, social networks, social capital, ...
    Bae, I can see this, yes, but......that which you have listed will not ward off another natural disaster if choosing to stay put and rebuild. Rob

  4. #4
    Senior Member Yppej's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    6,954
    Some insurance policies require you to rebuild the existing property.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    816
    Perhaps a better question is why insurance companies and government relief agencies keep paying the high cost of cleaning up and rebuilding after these disasters instead of buying everybody out (using eminent domain if they have to) and rebuilding the town in a safer place? Years ago the federal government bought entire towns that had been flooded by the Mississippi River by giving the residents property on higher ground and helping to fund rebuilding the town in that new location. But now when it becomes obvious that an area is so storm/flood prone that it will have to be demolished and rebuilt every 10-20 years, the powers that be just keep right on paying the cost of rebuilding it over and over.

  6. #6
    Senior Member bae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Offshore
    Posts
    9,809
    I'm pretty sure the frequency and intensity of these events will decrease, once climate change really gets rolling...

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    816
    Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I'm pretty sure the frequency and intensity of these events will decrease, once climate change really gets rolling...
    They're certainly going to decrease on islands and along coastlines since anything less than ten feet above sea level now will be ten feet below sea level and most of Florida will be a tidal marsh.

  8. #8
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Always logged in
    Posts
    20,080
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeParker View Post
    They're certainly going to decrease on islands and along coastlines since anything less than ten feet above sea level now will be ten feet below sea level and most of Florida will be a tidal marsh.
    Well, that’s looking at the bright side!

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    6,917
    Iíve heard that the average American moves a dozen or so times. Maybe they figure theyíll be out before the next big disaster.

    Or maybe itís a devil you know thing. You might know what to expect from your soggy flood plain, and might not want to try tornado alley, or some desert city dependent on shrinking rivers, or the scorched and smoking west. Or you might think anythingís better than the frozen north or crowded east.

  10. #10
    Member organictex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Rochester, MN
    Posts
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    .....is the following. Why do you believe people who live in areas at high risk of natural disasters - such as New Orleans - once they get insurance money, why do they rebuild in the same area, still at risk of natural disasters? This is something I will never understand. Were it me I'd take the money and start over somewhere not as disaster prone - say Virginia or Montana or Arizona or Nevada or New Mexico or somewhere else, anywhere not as disaster prone.

    Is it that part of their identity is wrapped up in where they live? That's the only explanation I can find that I can begin to understand due to my involvement in my neighborhood - and no worries, I'm not bringing up my zip code again. Do you think this is it, identity wrapped up in where they live? Rob
    same reason folks burned out in wildfires rebuild as well? i remember John Stossel doing a story 30 years ago or so about people with beach condo's doing this
    very thing since some government program was paying for it, and he he himself admitted using that very program!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •