Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 27

Thread: Podcasts

  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    9,036
    I think politics is REALLY NOT primary for how one looks at covid. Primary is fear for one's life (maybe) and loved ones (almost certainly), and finances (maybe) etc., and that gets filtered through an understanding of the world and how it works and what is possible, which I suppose is ideological. But to dismiss that to red/blue, is itself a gross over-simplification.

    I mean there are hardcore partisans, but if an issue is *only* to score points, then it was never taken seriously to begin with. Sure I wanted almost anyone handling covid going forward rather than Trump, but that's not because of lack of concern with the issue, but of course because I cared about it.
    If you want something to get done, ask a busy person. If you want them to have a nervous breakdown that is.

  2. #12
    Senior Member catherine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    12,625
    Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I think our tendency in recent years in this country to make everything political masks a whole lot of commonality and creates a lot of nonsensical thought. Covid, for instance, is far too complex a phenomenon to try to make it a red/blue thing. Yet we do.
    Yeah, I agree. Let me know if you also find a good podcast on Stoicism. I've read snippets of the classic Stoics Marcus Aurelius and Epictetus and Musonius Rufus, but also books with some of the more modern day takes on it like those by William B Irvine, Ryan Holiday, James Stockdale, and, as you said, Massimo Pigliucci.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

  3. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    816
    Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I think our tendency in recent years in this country to make everything political masks a whole lot of commonality and creates a lot of nonsensical thought. Covid, for instance, is far too complex a phenomenon to try to make it a red/blue thing. Yet we do.
    I'll agree with that 100%

  4. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Price County, WI
    Posts
    1,589
    I enjoy the general positivity of the Joy Lab Podcast (Drs Henry Emmons and Aimee Prasek)

    I probably listen to Al Franken's podcast more often than any other. (He did a memorable interview with Norman Lear).

  5. #15
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Always logged in
    Posts
    20,349
    Quote Originally Posted by dado potato View Post
    I enjoy the general positivity of the Joy Lab Podcast (Drs Henry Emmons and Aimee Prasek)

    I probably listen to Al Franken's podcast more often than any other. (He did a memorable interview with Norman Lear).
    Funny you should say that because just the other day I was wondering what Al Franken is up to. I always thought he was kind of stupid and unfunny, but I definitely think he got reamed by his political party when caught up in the Mee too stuff. Like, there are far worse predators in the Democratic Party they could’ve gone after? Yeah I think so.

  6. #16
    Senior Member Yppej's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    7,105
    Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I think our tendency in recent years in this country to make everything political masks a whole lot of commonality and creates a lot of nonsensical thought. Covid, for instance, is far too complex a phenomenon to try to make it a red/blue thing. Yet we do.
    Agreed. When I was talking the BOH last night they were telling me I should wear a mask so new variants aren't created. I told them since I am fully vaccinated I am not the risk, the risk of variants is from countries with few vaccines and that is why the World Health Organization says they should get first doses before Americans get boosters. They and also the police chief they had attend because they are scared of little old me got all outraged and said, "You can't talk about other countries. That's political" and they tried to deny that variants came from India, the UK, Brazil and South Africa. I told them, "The Delta variant came from India. That's a fact."

    I was not trying to make a point about immigration, but about airline travel, and I even stated that the few air travel bans put in place had applied to foreign nationals only and Americans were still allowed to travel back and forth to these countries. So the risk I was talking about was from American travelers, not immigrants, but they didn't even listen to what I said, they just got their hackles up and reacted.

    The doctor did admit masks are only 20% effective so I said you can have 5 travelers get off a plane from another country all wearing masks and 1 won't transmit a variant and 4 of them will and they are the risk not me. But I didn't get anywhere. They kept saying, "That's political, that's political."

  7. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    7,028
    Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Yeah, I agree. Let me know if you also find a good podcast on Stoicism. I've read snippets of the classic Stoics Marcus Aurelius and Epictetus and Musonius Rufus, but also books with some of the more modern day takes on it like those by William B Irvine, Ryan Holiday, James Stockdale, and, as you said, Massimo Pigliucci.
    Had a long drive yesterday, and listened to a few episodes (or is it parts, installments, chapters?) of the Scottish Stoics. Really enjoyed them. Thanks.

    Some of the Lawrence Becker books on modern stoicism are pretty good, although he does indulge in technical philosophy jargon a bit. Tom Wolfe’s novel, “A Man in Full” touches on it in an interesting and accessible way. I wish that guy was alive today; he would have ample material in our present silliness.

  8. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    816
    Anyone with a general interest in the American economy, the stock market, or other financial subjects should listen to a few episodes of Kai Ryssdal's nightly Marketplace podcast. It's not personal finance advice or hot stock tips or 30 minutes of quickie stock market headlines like a lot of other podcasts. It's just a calm, low key examination of a few significant economic events that happened today. Plus I love Kai's droll delivery. And no podcast app needed -- You can listen right there on the website. https://www.marketplace.org/shows/marketplace/

  9. #19
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Always logged in
    Posts
    20,349
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeParker View Post
    Anyone with a general interest in the American economy, the stock market, or other financial subjects should listen to a few episodes of Kai Ryssdal's nightly Marketplace podcast. It's not personal finance advice or hot stock tips or 30 minutes of quickie stock market headlines like a lot of other podcasts. It's just a calm, low key examination of a few significant economic events that happened today. Plus I love Kai's droll delivery. And no podcast app needed -- You can listen right there on the website. https://www.marketplace.org/shows/marketplace/
    I like Kai too. I’m glad NPR is keeping him around. It’s been a few years since I listened to NPR in that time segment regularly, but I always did like his content and delivery.

  10. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    816
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I like Kai too. I’m glad NPR is keeping him around. It’s been a few years since I listened to NPR in that time segment regularly, but I always did like his content and delivery.
    His NPR timeslot isn't always convenient for me. That's why I like accessing his podcast via the website.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •