Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Podcasts

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Had a long drive yesterday, and listened to a few episodes (or is it parts, installments, chapters?) of the Scottish Stoics. Really enjoyed them. Thanks.

Some of the Lawrence Becker books on modern stoicism are pretty good, although he does indulge in technical philosophy jargon a bit. Tom Wolfe’s novel, “A Man in Full” touches on it in an interesting and accessible way. I wish that guy was alive today; he would have ample material in our present silliness.
    You're welcome! I'll check out Lawrence Becker, and actually, I'm interested in the Wolfe novel.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I'm interested in the Wolfe novel.
    From Bauhaus to Our House by Tom Wolfe is also a worthy book and very informative.

https://www.amazon.com/Bauhaus-Our-H.../dp/B004ZM08CE

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I was listening to a podcast about podcasts (a metapodcast?), and heard that most growth in listenership (streamership?) comes from word of mouth. I like to listen to bright people talk about current affairs or history or philosophy at times convenient for me. Most of the best ones seem to be those put out by enthusiasts on the subject rather than the credentialed clerisy. Not sure why; maybe it’s the absence of academic ideological baggage, name-dropping or status-seeking.

Anyway, for what it’s worth, here are a few I like:

“The Age of Napoleon”, created by Everett Rummage, covers that fascinating period from the French Revolution through Waterloo. I’m eighty episodes into it, which gets us through 1804.

“Ancient Warfare”, is associated with the magazine of the same name. I like hearing Latin phrases in an Australian accent.

“The Partially Examined Life” is a discussion of various philosophers by three guys who at one time considered careers in philosophy but thought better of it. A little gossipy but a lot of fun.

“The Editors” is a group of people who write for “National Review” talking about the events of the day from a conservative perspective.

I’ve been searching for a good podcast on Stoicism, but all I’ve found are pretty light weight self-helpy things that don’t interest me all that much.
    Thanks for turning me onto “The Editors” of National Review. I listened to them for two hours yesterday when I was planting lilies.

The English guy, Charlie, is a rare talent.His ability to put convincing thought into soliloquies made up of multiple phrases without losing me is pretty damn impressive. I suppose he talks like he writes, but the English accent just causes it all to be a step above everyone else.

I haven’t read anything he wrote and I don’t even know his last name.

As mentioned elsewhere, I tried listening to Jonah Goldberg but Jonah is a writer not a talker. On the other hand I need some relief from listening to Joe Rogan. I love Joe, but that guy is a professional talker, not a not a professional thinker.

Scared to Death (scary stories - true? Maybe).
    Sincerely, Fortune (Fortune Feimster)
    Lore (weird history)
    For the Love - Jen Hatmaker
    Love to Sew
    All it Takes is a Goal - Jon Acuff
    Losing 100 Pounds with Corinne
    Threads Magazine - more sewing
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Thanks for turning me onto “The Editors” of National Review. I listened to them for two hours yesterday when I was planting lilies.

The English guy, Charlie, is a rare talent.His ability to put convincing thought into soliloquies made up of multiple phrases without losing me is pretty damn impressive. I suppose he talks like he writes, but the English accent just causes it all to be a step above everyone else.

I haven’t read anything he wrote and I don’t even know his last name.

As mentioned elsewhere, I tried listening to Jonah Goldberg but Jonah is a writer not a talker. On the other hand I need some relief from listening to Joe Rogan. I love Joe, but that guy is a professional talker, not a not a professional thinker.
    Charles C. W. Cook. He also features in the Mad Dogs and Englishmen podcast with Kevin Williamson, another of my favorite writers.

Rich Roll - former attorney, recovering alcoholic, ultra marathoner, author, and vegan. Has a wide variety of guests. He is a excellent interviewer, well prepared and he is always looking to learn something new and we as listeners come along for the ride.

I used to listen to a podcast about weird places/events hosted by two guys I can't remember. LOL. It was at work years ago while doing some menial stuff. It was interesting and made the time go quickly. I haven't really listened to any since then. Liking the suggestion here and may look into them. Thanks.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thread Information