Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: September Purge

The deck is off! Although there is now a pile of wood and one big under-beam that needs to be removed. Getting an estimate for the masonry work I'm wanting done around the house including a patio. And only minimal injuries - at least as far as I can tell at this point. (Tomorrow will tell - lol)
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by ejchase View Post
    This is such a good idea, Yppej. I may try this eventually.
    If not now, when? If not you,who? Yoo Hoo! Do, or do not. There is no "eventually".

Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
    Why should I keep these things.... I opened one book and the page said "Don't be a slave to your possessions."
    I love it when that happens. It's called bibliomancy. You pick up a book, think about a question or problem, and open the book to a random page. If you're lucky and The Force is with you, something on that page will spark an insight or point you in the right direction. Usually this is done with a book of wise sayings or useful advice, but it can be done with any book.

Sometimes the results are amazing, and sometimes they're hilarious, especially if you do it with a fiction book you like and you are looking for some relationship/relevance between your situation and what the characters are experiencing on that random page. What would do if you were them? What would they do if they were you? Is what you're confused/concerned about better or worse than what the fictional characters are experiencing? I don't do this often, but it's always fun when I do.

When I was 17 I was on a trip with my parents and we went to a show where a very attractive 20-something-yo woman came out into the audience and flirted with various guys while she was singing a song. I was one of the guys she stopped in front of and flirted with using only body language and her facial expression. Back in our hotel room I said how much I had enjoyed her doing that, and that the biggest part of her flirting was what she did with her eyes. A few minutes latter I noticed the ubiquitous Gideon Bible on the bedside table and just for fun I opened it with my eyes closed and put my finger on a random passage. It was Proverbs 3:8 "Lust not after her beauty in thine heart, neither let her take you with her eyes." OOPS!

Quote Originally Posted by KayLR View Post
    Funny, as I was culling I found my old Kindle Fire. It's so old that the trade-in is only $5. BUT it is still working and I can still download books.
    A lot of books and other items in the free internet archive https://archive.org/ or https://archive.org/search.php?query...%20Maintenance can be downloaded in Kindle format. And since you're only borrowing them for a limited time, like a regular library, you have an incentive to go ahead and read them before they expire.

I gave away 26 items to two people in my Buy Nothing group. New total for month: 106.

Donation pickup day arrived - 38 items gone! Time to start filling the donation corner again.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    The deck is off! Although there is now a pile of wood and one big under-beam that needs to be removed. Getting an estimate for the masonry work I'm wanting done around the house including a patio. And only minimal injuries - at least as far as I can tell at this point. (Tomorrow will tell - lol)
    Here are pics of the deck - pre and post deconstruction. lol. Have a contractor lined up. Am starting to get excited about having this and other work around the house done!!

DSC02978.jpg DSC02980.jpg

Here are pics of the deck - pre and post deconstruction. lol. Have a contractor lined up. Am starting to get excited about having this and other work around the house done!!

DSC02978.jpg DSC02980.jpg
    Progress, yay!

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Progress, yay!
    Happy, you and IL have the same color house!

5D56464B-AB0B-4DCF-AC1B-96C3CE955F94.jpg
    Oh good, I am glad you are going with a masonry patio for your flat yard. Wish I could with my Hermann house, but hill requires deck. Blech.

I love/adore/am besotted with my brick patio in our city house, made with 100+ year old brick. All free brick, it just takes time to collect it. It requires minimal maintenance (if you are open to using weed killer) but even if not, there are other ways to control weeds coming up through cracks such as weed wacking.

DH made our patio, so labor was free. I remember that summer, me hauling bricks from the stack on the side of our yard, to feed to him as he laid it.

He even found, hauled, and laid the stone steps leading into our elevated yard.

I love the first floor of my house and if I wasn’t married, I could happily live in the first floor with a basement to store stuff. I don’t need a second and third floor.

7895866E-F5DC-4BAA-A3AE-227BBB84A2D6.jpg

Thread Information