Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: September Purge

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    As a quilter I have a lot of fabric and I am using it for charity work. This week my group had a request for microwave bowl cozies. There is to be an empty bowl fundraiser. Potters are donating bowls, some local restaurants are donating soup and we will do the cozies. I will use yards of fabric I just cannot get to.
    my group gave eight kid size quilts to guardian ad litum (foster kids) this week, all made with our scraps. We got a request yesterday for two quilts for a local school fundraiser too. A few weeks ago two went to a group that was raising money for Salvation Army. We even made bible bags for women at the local baptist alcohol and drug rehab facility. So we are all decluttering our fabric for good causes. Much better than sitting in a plastic bin in my closet.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    As a quilter I have a lot of fabric and I am using it for charity work. This week my group had a request for microwave bowl cozies. There is to be an empty bowl fundraiser. Potters are donating bowls, some local restaurants are donating soup and we will do the cozies. I will use yards of fabric I just cannot get to.
    my group gave eight kid size quilts to guardian ad litum this week, all made with our scraps. We got a request yesterday for two quilts for a local school fundraiser too. So we are all decluttering our fabric for good causes
    what is a microwave cozie? Honestly, that doesn't sound very practical.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    IL, here is an example from the pampered chef site

https://www.pamperedchef.com/shop/Gi...ozy+Set/100055

of course ours are fun and colorful. It is much easier to wash a spill from a cotton cozy you can throw in the washer and it makes removing a hot bowl safer on your hands.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    IL, here is an example from the pampered chef site

https://www.pamperedchef.com/shop/Gi...ozy+Set/100055

of course ours are fun and colorful. It is much easier to wash a spill from a cotton cozy you can throw in the washer and it makes removing a hot bowl safer on your hands.
    ok, I guess I can see that. I just use hot pads or dish towels as microwave cozies. I do use our microwave oven a LOT.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
    Why should I keep these things if I dont even remember they were sitting there and I have not really looked at them in several years. I opened one book and the page said "Don't be a slave to your possesions."
    This is a biggie for me! If I suddenly find something that I don't even remember I had, 9 times out of 10 it is out the door.

And the opening of the book to the saying is a great sign - if you believe in those types of things.

Congrats on continued progress!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Spent a good part of the day in THE GARAGE. *sigh*
    Went through pantry and pulled all the expired can goods and boxed foods. Re-arranged everything now we can actually step up to the shelves and not lean over to them - if you get my drift. Took 1 box and three large bags to St. Vinnies + a large Christmas decoration. Filled the recycle tote with flatten boxes (they tend to accumulate). Did a lot of organizing, but just made a small dent into the project, but it noticeably looked better, so that is encouraging. Dropped off a bag of empty bottles to the recycler and a big bag of plastic wrapper to the plastics bin at the grocery store. Recycle bin = full and garbage can nearly full and we don't have service until Friday! That is one thing I miss about the old job. If I had too much garbage I could toss a bag or two in the work dumpster of course I was descret!

Yppej
    You are more dedicated than me Greg. I work in dribs and drabs. Continuing with electronic decluttering, removing old downloads from my tablet.

Culled old books yesterday. Bound for the local thrift.

Funny, as I was culling I found my old Kindle Fire. It's so old that the trade-in is only $5. BUT it is still working and I can still download books. Now, I have been feeling bad about myself because I have not been the reader the past few years that I used to be. Not sure why, but I think it has to do with work burnout.

Now that I'm retired and looking to change up and establish my routine, I think I'm going to rev the ol' Kindle back into action. Especially with fall/winter coming on, I'll be spending more time indoors. My DH tends to bring books in from those cute Little Free Libraries, but doesn't replace them; they just stack up. Hence the book-culling. Ugh. I wish he'd just do a Kindle, but he won't.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

I took 18 items to Goodwill and gave away 4 items to folks in my Buy Nothing Group. New total for month: 26.

My house bunting faded so badly that I threw it out yesterday. Sad to lose my summer decor, but on to fall. Also mowed the daylilies down, a purge of sorts, I guess. Summer is ending, fall beginning.

Thread Information