Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: September Frugals

September Frugals

DS reimbursed me for his auto insurance I recorded on last month's spending, so my outgo this month is negative so far.

Way to go! I am saving seeds for next year, and will repot the geraniums from my window box and bring them indoors for the winter and reuse them next summer.

Each spring and fall I do a wardrobe transition. Starting this past Friday each day I put away one summer garment and bring out one fall or winter garment. This makes me feel as if I am getting a steady stream of new clothing for a while and I am less tempted to go out and buy new pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Each spring and fall I do a wardrobe transition. Starting this past Friday each day I put away one summer garment and bring out one fall or winter garment. This makes me feel as if I am getting a steady stream of new clothing for a while and I am less tempted to go out and buy new pieces.
    I feel like I might do better to make the clothing transition sooner than I do, because I sometimes forget about things I own, and think I need more clothes for the upcoming season, when in fact I do not. On the other hand, I don't need a bunch of fleece and wool in the front of my closet when it's still t-shirt weather. I think the ideal might be a small enough collection of clothing so that there is no major seasonal shifting around, but I don't think I'm minimalist enough to ever get there.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    I think the ideal might be a small enough collection of clothing so that there is no major seasonal shifting around, but I don't think I'm minimalist enough to ever get there.
    I think I am almost there as I don't have any clothes in *storage*. All my clothes are in the closet or dresser - maybe at the back, but no boxes packed away anywhere. LOL. And I still feel like I need to cull some of the older, more worn pieces.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    I think I am almost there as I don't have any clothes in *storage*. All my clothes are in the closet or dresser - maybe at the back, but no boxes packed away anywhere. LOL. And I still feel like I need to cull some of the older, more worn pieces.
    I am in that position, finally, too…having given away any costume-type or dress ip items, with one exception. DH and I can still pull out our victorian strolling outfits.

I will however do one more closet purge before I move Hermann.

I have never put away seasonal clothes. If it doesn’t fit in the closet space I have it goes.

Living in the NE, you do have two sets of clothing and I don't know how to circumvent that. I still tend to like "uniforms" and I have my leggings, shirt, and LLBean hoodie as my winter wardrobe and my LLBean skort and t-shirt for my summer outfit. It's minimal enough. I've read that we only have a certain cache of decision-making capacity in our brain, and I don't want to use up any of it deciding what to wear for the day.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

When I lived in Wisconsin and upstate New York I definitely needed more clothes because of big difference between seasons.

I keep a good portion of my clothes out all year (jeans, lighter sweaters, long and short sleeve tees, henleys) and keep the stuff that is clearly limited to a particular season (tank tops, heavy sweaters, summer dresses, cold weather clothing) in a big tote in another closet. Sometime in September I put away the tanks and the summer dresses and skirts and pull out the heavy sweaters, and switch the shirt positions so that the most used is front and center and most accessible. Usually in April I do the reverse because I'm just so tired of winter, not because I need to use the summer clothing that early.

My uniform is skirt/skort and tee/tank , sometimes a dress, for summer and jeans, long sleeved tee and sweater/fleece for cold weather.

Thread Information