Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: September Frugals

Not frugal - got two free faucets but the plumber discovered one was missing parts and he went and got another faucet. With that, labor and a smaller repair in the basement it was $600. Sometimes it is good to look a gift horse in the mouth, or check a gift faucet against the parts list. The faucets are an improvement but I was not planning on spending that much.

But, it is DONE!!!

Yes.

Went shopping and there was just nothing I wanted to buy. Have some funds on a Target gift card but their clothes were unappealing, they didn't have the blender in stock that I wanted, and the end table I wanted rang up the wrong price and the clerk was too lazy to send someone to do a price check so I walked out.

Went to Kohls and the tops were all these muted dingy colors like someone was rolling around in the mud. I am no longer a 12 or medium in pants and I didn't want to accept that reality.

Yesterday I went to DSW and they were requiring masks so I didn't go in.

So I am saving money.

DH is becoming a self-reliant Vermonter. We have practically begged people (plumbers, handymen/women) to fix leaks we have in indoor spaces and outdoor spaces. Our property manager promised he'd get here "soon" (probably meaning after all the summer people have left--mid-October.

So DH finally got under the sink, and into the outdoor shower, and over to the courtyard outdoor valve, figured out which gaskets and washers and lines he needed and fixed it all himself.

So we probably saved a couple of hundred dollars.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    DH is becoming a self-reliant Vermonter. We have practically begged people (plumbers, handymen/women) to fix leaks we have in indoor spaces and outdoor spaces. Our property manager promised he'd get here "soon" (probably meaning after all the summer people have left--mid-October.

So DH finally got under the sink, and into the outdoor shower, and over to the courtyard outdoor valve, figured out which gaskets and washers and lines he needed and fixed it all himself.

So we probably saved a couple of hundred dollars.
    Excellent. Is that legal in your state or are only licensed people supposed to touch plumbing?

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Excellent. Is that legal in your state or are only licensed people supposed to touch plumbing?
    Oooh, I don't know. I do think people up here do-it-yourself on many things. Chances are no one will bother us about it.

ETA: I just found this online under "Vermont Plumbing Rules":

Section 11: LICENSE NOT REQUIRED
    (A) All plumbing and specialty work performed in Vermont shall be performed by persons licensed under this chapter except that a license shall not be required for the following types of work:
    (1) Any plumbing and specialty work performed by an owner or the owner's regular employees in the owner-occupied freestanding single family dwelling or in outbuildings accessory to the owner- occupied, single family dwelling.

So I think we're good
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

We fixed our washing machine! DH noticed that it wasn't agitating properly, which I might never have noticed to be honest. If it flat-out wasn't working, I probably would have called the appliance repair guy, but this felt a little bit less urgent, so I spent some time with Google and YouTube, and decided we could probably do this ourselves. We ordered parts online (agitator dogs), which cost $13. with shipping (shipping was most of the cost, parts were only about $3.50). We got the parts today and fixed the machine quite easily and it now works fine. I love this because it's a good machine that's been serving us well since 2003, and we can keep it in service, our repair guy would have cost about $185. so a definite savings, and we'll probably feel a little more empowered to at least consider tackling the next thing that comes along ourselves without automatically assuming we need to call in an expert..

Excellent Rosa!

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Finished my Christmas sewing. I am not fond of gift giving but DH’s family insists. The idea is about a $25 gift and there are 13 people. I made everyone a token gift like potholders, throw pillows or placemats from a huge pile of quilt shop fabric a friend who was moving gave me. Pillow forms are ridiculously expensive so I went to my favorite thrift shop and bought a bunch of pillows that looked new and recovered them.
    then I give my DIL $250 which her company matches and she donates to several animal and child charities everyone agrees are great. It is good all around and besides the donation cost me less than $25. Much better use of money I think.

Thread Information