Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: September Frugals

Glad to see some of you are having vacations again. I am going to visit my friend in the East Bay. I have some other places I want to go but don’t want to fly right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Glad to see some of you are having vacations again. I am going to visit my friend in the East Bay. I have some other places I want to go but don’t want to fly right now.
    Arggh.. Well in September I had to sacrifice a college reunion in MA for work, and tomorrow night is my 50th/51st (COVID delay) HS reunion. I've paid for it and was planning to go, but I think I'm bailing. Going will not be very frugal as I'll have to pay for gas and hotel. I'm so ambivalent about it because I loved high school and was looking forward to going. But none of my "crowd" will be there. Of those that I hung out with, a half dozen are dead, including my best friend. A couple of other best friends are not going. That leaves many people that I knew, but not well.

Do you think I'm doing the right thing? It's 4.5 hours each way to get there in the car. OTOH, it's a beautiful weekend in VT and the boat comes out of the water next week. I feel bad for the committee because they've been begging people to go.

Do you think I'll regret not going? I can still just jump in the car and go tomorrow morning, even though I do have to finish a report this weekend.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Do you want to go? Then I'd go and take the financial hit. But if you don't want to go, then I wouldn't go just because I felt obliged to.
    Trees don't grow on money

I wouldn’t go if you’re not going see your group of close friends. That is, unless you want to sit around and talk about old teachers and all incidents in high school that you can do with anyone in your class.

I wasn’t interested in high school and you couldn’t pay me enough to go back to a class reunion. I have a few close friends and they’re still alive at least the two I know about. I can’t believe the other few are not still alive.

This reminds me of a short rant having to do a school and architecture: in recent years, I would say probably within the last four years, they tore down the original school building Where my parents attended high school, although my dad went to a country school for grammar school. I went there for a few years, too.

This annoys me because my theoretical grandchildren could have been going there, attending school in the place where their parents, grandparents, and great grandparents went to school. I’m not sure if I’m theoretically annoyed or actually annoyed by this. Or, looking for annoying things? Hahaha.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 10-2-21 at 12:31pm.

Quote Originally Posted by nswef View Post
    Rosa we're going back to the Berkshires in June. Very excited! We did Edith Wharton's house last time. Glad you had a good time.
    Oh nice! We've visited Wharton's estate a few times and it is a wonderful place. You'll have to keep us posted when the time comes!

I also loved high school but if my close friends weren’t going I probably wouldn’t go. My 2 older sons went to the same junior high that I and my dad went to IL.

My 50th has also been rescheduled. But they are 3,700 miles away and even pre-covid we were on the fence about a vacation there.

I went to the 10th and 20th maybe, but made sure my friends were going. I skipped all the rest, 30,40,50 we have mini reunions with the group of 5 of us every once in awhile, so I would say don't go. Maybe you can plan a meet up with those you want to see.

I've never been to a reunion and I live in the same town where I grew up, so no useful advice from me.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Arggh.. Well in September I had to sacrifice a college reunion in MA for work, and tomorrow night is my 50th/51st (COVID delay) HS reunion. I've paid for it and was planning to go, but I think I'm bailing. Going will not be very frugal as I'll have to pay for gas and hotel. I'm so ambivalent about it because I loved high school and was looking forward to going. But none of my "crowd" will be there. Of those that I hung out with, a half dozen are dead, including my best friend. A couple of other best friends are not going. That leaves many people that I knew, but not well.

Do you think I'm doing the right thing? It's 4.5 hours each way to get there in the car. OTOH, it's a beautiful weekend in VT and the boat comes out of the water next week. I feel bad for the committee because they've been begging people to go.

Do you think I'll regret not going? I can still just jump in the car and go tomorrow morning, even though I do have to finish a report this weekend.
    I did not see this! Did you decide to go? I would!

Thread Information