Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: September Frugals

Tybee that’s a beautiful setting. I only still exchange gifts with 2 people so super easy.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    Finished my Christmas sewing. I am not fond of gift giving but DH’s family insists. The idea is about a $25 gift and there are 13 people. I made everyone a token gift like potholders, throw pillows or placemats from a huge pile of quilt shop fabric a friend who was moving gave me. Pillow forms are ridiculously expensive so I went to my favorite thrift shop and bought a bunch of pillows that looked new and recovered them.
    then I give my DIL $250 which her company matches and she donates to several animal and child charities everyone agrees are great. It is good all around and besides the donation cost me less than $25. Much better use of money I think.
    Interesting how we are all different. I LOVE giving gifts... finding just the right thing. When yard saling this summer, I picked up a beautiful ballerina outfit (actually worn for a competition) and a lovely, multicolored witch costume for my GD. Later we found out the hat on the witch's costume lit up. GD was mesmerized! I cannot buy her anything because I don't see her often and know friends swap clothes. She came a few weeks ago and whispered "Grandma, can I please take these home with me!" She had them on and off multiple times a day and was thrilled. It made me so happy too. I figured she could use it for dress up or for Halloween. That is, unless her mother finds a way to get rid of them first. I never spend much because I know the mother will get rid of whatever I get her if she can. It is crazy.

I finished the month $2073.50 over budget because on vacation I got caught up on all my home repairs (except the furnace cleaning which they still haven't billed me for hasn't hit yet - more and more common these days as people [hardly] work from home). Also bought two years worth of contact lenses.

Now I want to finish out the year in saving mode. When he is unhappy with me DS will not take any gifts from me, so despite the holidays it may be doable to stay on budget every month. In part it will depend if I get whacked on my auto insurance for the windshield replacement I needed. I don't get points charged to me like I would in an accident but I think they can still raise my rates.

I don't think I had mentioned it, but I used $800 in credit card rewards towards our recent vacation. I had been saving them for this purpose.

Way to go Rosa. Where did you go?

Good strategy, Rosa! Frugal vacations are very rewarding! (See what I did there?)

I'm going to be checking this thread more often. I think I'm quite frugal, but have quit one of my two part time jobs. It was the one with more hours. So - gotta squeeze some pennies.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Way to go Rosa. Where did you go?
    We went to the Berkshires for a week, which is where we vacation most often. I did think of you because masks were required indoors at most of the places we went. We did not have a problem with that, but I know you would have felt differently. The weather was nice so we went to some outdoor spots like Ashintully Gardens (magnificent and free!) and Berkshire Botanical Gardens (wonderful, and free on Tuesdays!). We went to MA MOCA, did some shopping and walking around the towns, and visited a favorite farm store.
    Our hotel provided a free continental breakfast and we had a refrigerator in our room so had some of our own breakfast items and drinks. We ate most of our dinners at restaurants but had take-out sandwiches in our room one night, which helped balance some of the dining out costs.

Quote Originally Posted by lmerullo View Post
    Good strategy, Rosa! Frugal vacations are very rewarding! (See what I did there?)

I'm going to be checking this thread more often. I think I'm quite frugal, but have quit one of my two part time jobs. It was the one with more hours. So - gotta squeeze some pennies.
    Good luck with your penny-pinching! We need to start an Oct thread, but I posted this on Sept because our vacation was in Sept.

Rosa we're going back to the Berkshires in June. Very excited! We did Edith Wharton's house last time. Glad you had a good time.

Sounds like fun, rosa.

Good luck, lmerullo. You may have lost some income, but hopefully having the extra time makes it a good trade-off!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thread Information