Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How good can a pillow be?

How good can a pillow be?

Having recently replaced our mattress, box spring and bed frame, I also decided it was time to replace some other bedding items like pillows and mattress pad. I see that Cuddledown of Maine's top of the line pillow is priced at $5174! That will get you the overfilled 25 oz. European Eiderdown Heirloom German Silk Pillow. I mean, how good can a pillow possibly be? Will it ward off bad dreams? Massage your temples while you sleep?
    The companion top of the line comforter is $11,999.
    They are currently having a 20% off sale if anyone is interested.

I really, really don't get the inflated prices of good bedding. My BIL used to work at ABC Carpet in NYC (a LOT of celebrities bought sheets there, btw), and I couldn't get over the prices of sheets in his department. If I had one million dollars (ok, maybe one BILLION dollars, as Austin Powers' Dr. Evil would say), I wouldn't spend thousands on SHEETS!! Or PILLOWS!! Honestly, I'm a Bed, Bath & Beyond shopper. If a set of pillows is on sale for $10, that's good enough for me.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Wow! My last car didn't cost that much! LOL.

I know there can be "bad" pillows and that eventually "good" pillows can age and become "bad" pillows, but I, personally, don't think any pillow is $5174 good.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Yppej
    And I thought MyPillow was expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    They are currently having a 20% off sale if anyone is interested.
    Even at that discounted price, it better make coffee in the morning and shine my shoes.

I have tried different makes of pillows and spending extra ($20 instead of $10) was worth it. They all wear out. DH loved his down pillow which could be bunched up just right even after 30+ years. Maybe how you rest your head when sleeping makes a difference in longevity and comfort.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

The pillows I did buy were about $70. each, which is in the ballpark, maybe a little bit higher, than what I've paid in the past. I'm somewhat fussy about pillows and always bring my own pillow with me when I go away. I can't even fall asleep on most synthetic hotel pillows. I bought my pillows from The Company Store, which seems like a good balance of price and quality.
    I do have some summer cotton sateen sheets from Cuddledown, and they are really, really nice. They were expensive, but not ridiculously so.

Wow. That's a pricey pillow. I have been using natural latex foam rubber pillows since I was little. They run around $75 but last a long time and mine goes with me everywhere. I think a lot of bedding is way over-priced - perceived luxury.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    Wow. That's a pricey pillow. I have been using natural latex foam rubber pillows since I was little. They run around $75 but last a long time and mine goes with me everywhere. I think a lot of bedding is way over-priced - perceived luxury.
    I like that! It is a good explanation for a lot of purchases. I think I'll start using it. Thanks!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Perceived luxury...I like that. I did buy a bamboo mattress pad or topper from Cuddledown, it is to help with cooling. It's nice, not sure if it's making a difference. I still put my plain mattress pad over it as the topper is way too heavy to put in my washer. I bought sheets from Vermont country store because I could buy just the fitted sheet. I bought a down pillow 20 years ago and it is still in good shape. I do take it with me on vacation. I used to love big, thick towels, but now I find they are too heavy...so I lean toward thinner-using more of my "old" towels.

Thread Information