Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How good can a pillow be?

Quote Originally Posted by nswef View Post
    Perceived luxury...I like that. I did buy a bamboo mattress pad or topper from Cuddledown, it is to help with cooling. It's nice, not sure if it's making a difference. I still put my plain mattress pad over it as the topper is way too heavy to put in my washer. I bought sheets from Vermont country store because I could buy just the fitted sheet. I bought a down pillow 20 years ago and it is still in good shape. I do take it with me on vacation. I used to love big, thick towels, but now I find they are too heavy...so I lean toward thinner-using more of my "old" towels.
    I'm the same way with towels. There was a thread somewhere about Turkish towels and I actually got some and really like them.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I bought some heavily-discounted super customizable down and memory foam pillows years ago that arrived packed in their own snazzy black and gold suitcases. They might have been 100$ for two; I don't remember. I sleep on a pillow full of plastic pellets most nights; I think it was fifteen bucks. I'm not much for over-priced goods or stuff perceived as luxury items. If I want sparkle, I'll buy a CZ (though I admit I have been eyeing manufactured diamonds lately). Price, value, usefulness are the criteria I go by, not whether the Kardashians would be impressed.

I still cannot wrap my head around the pillow Rosa talks about.

I hate down anything, so that right there eliminates some expensive items from any shopping list.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I bought some heavily-discounted super customizable down and memory foam pillows years ago that arrived packed in their own snazzy black and gold suitcases. They might have been 100$ for two; I don't remember. I sleep on a pillow full of plastic pellets most nights; I think it was fifteen bucks. I'm not much for over-priced goods or stuff perceived as luxury items. If I want sparkle, I'll buy a CZ (though I admit I have been eyeing manufactured diamonds lately). Price, value, usefulness are the criteria I go by, not whether the Kardashians would be impressed.
    lab diamonds are the real thing and actually not all that super discounted from mined diamonds.

I have a lab emerald but those a cheap because they look like glass, they are clear and perfect and have none of the interest that a mined emerald has.

CZ, at least the one I had, was cheap and looked cheap, and it clouded over after a few months.

I'm not a diamond person. I like opals, but they are so soft, so I only wear the one I have for special occasions. (Plus the fact that I'm not a jewelry person at all! LOL). The stone I've grown to like - although I don't have any - is aquamarine. There was a show about gem hunters/miners in the Rockies who would look and find aquamarine, and I gained a new appreciation for those gemstones.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi

I probably am a perceived luxury person, or it's like this, if I am going to buy something anyway because it's a basic thing and the pillow has worn out or whatever (and honestly do pillows really wear out that often anyway? maybe once a decade if even that?), why not get something nice.

I have no idea the most I paid for a pillow, probably between $100-$200. And that likely IS a nice pillow, my current pillows are wool and shredded latex, so that kind of is perceived luxury I think. A silk pillow does sound very nice, I have a silk pillowcase, down I don't even want. And whatever "real" as opposed to perceived luxury is, I suspect it's: if you have to ask, you can't afford it. The cost of a MyPillow is far too much though, it's the overthrow of the government by nutcases. There are some things money can't buy ...
    Trees don't grow on money

When I first moved into this house, it still had his cable/phone, etc. There was a show on one channel with millionaires, who were given challenges to start with a used vehicle, something like $1500 and three months to make it. I remember it, because one woman had said she had a business selling expensive sheets and stuff to wealthier people early on. Perception is certainly a part of it.
    A friend long ago proposed to a gal, whose response was that is not a big enough ring, you can afford better. They never stopped dating, but he never proposed to her again. She works for a professional golfer, and from being around all of that, has the ego that little people are beneath her. So there is that aspect as well.
    Then you have those who either don't want to deal with being spotted in public, like celebrities, or have security concerns, and don't always want people doing their shopping for them. A different target audience, in the way that one of us may pay more for something out of convenience then we have to.

I have gone more Japanese style in the past few months, of sleeping on the floor, for my back. I keep thinking about giving up a bed entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    I have gone more Japanese style in the past few months, of sleeping on the floor, for my back. I keep thinking about giving up a bed entirely.
    A couple years back, I did a little bit of research on sleeping in a hammock. It proved very interesting, but then I never pursued it. I have several hammocks, but no frames. Hmmm.....

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    lab diamonds are the real thing and actually not all that super discounted from mined diamonds.

I have a lab emerald but those a cheap because they look like glass, they are clear and perfect and have none of the interest that a mined emerald has.

CZ, at least the one I had, was cheap and looked cheap, and it clouded over after a few months.
    My CZs have held up well. I've searched for lab-grown emeralds with the jardin, so far unsuccessfully. The lab-grown diamonds I've looked at seem to be about half the price of "blood diamonds." I fancy a 2-carat cushion cut, and there are some out there.

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    I'm not a diamond person. I like opals, but they are so soft, so I only wear the one I have for special occasions. (Plus the fact that I'm not a jewelry person at all! LOL). The stone I've grown to like - although I don't have any - is aquamarine. There was a show about gem hunters/miners in the Rockies who would look and find aquamarine, and I gained a new appreciation for those gemstones.
    I like milky aquamarine and made a friend a bracelet with them. I love opals, as well. I don't wear much jewelry, but I've collected some.

Thread Information