Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How good can a pillow be?

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    I see that Cuddledown of Maine's top of the line pillow is priced at $5174!
    We just bought new mattresses and adjustable bed frames and didn't spend that much...

But we do need to buy new pillows. Well, I do (DW doesn't usually use one and if she can raise the head of the bed [which she'll be able to do with the new bed] she probably won't need one ever). Mine plump up well enough but when I put my head on them they parted like the Red Sea. So new pillow(s) it is. Not sure which kind I want or need or how much they'll cost (though they won't cost $5174 even with a coupon). That's the next research project since the beds will take about a month to be delivered. I might add to this thread if I can figure out what kind I need to see if anyone has had experience with purchases of that particular brand or type.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I sleep on a pillow full of plastic pellets most nights; I think it was fifteen bucks.
    I'm curious about this plastic pellets pillow. Who makes it? Are the pellets recycled plastic?
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Hmmm. I may have spoken too soon: https://www.ebay.com/itm/153880095253?chn=ps#viTabs_0

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    I'm curious about this plastic pellets pillow. Who makes it? Are the pellets recycled plastic?
    I bought a couple of these maybe thirty years ago, and have forgotten their name--some Japanese name similar to the sobakawa buckwheat pillow.. The principle is the same as buckwheat, but they're lighter, filled with maybe 3/8" clear plastic perles. I doubt they are still manufactured.

I don't recall them ever having an odor, but they're probably toxic. They aren't microbeads. I wouldn't give them up for anything, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend them, either. If you can find recycled plastic pellets at a craft store, you could make your own for very little outlay. Or, more sustainably, you could try buckwheat.

I love these because you don't need to struggle with them; they stay how you arrange them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jane v2.0 View Post
    I will say that is really pretty and interesting. I may have to look further into those. This example of Rusgem certainly does have the bubbles and inclusions that make a real emerald arresting.

Gems like this are always what I think Of when Tradd shows her dive videos.

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    I'm the same way with towels. There was a thread somewhere about Turkish towels and I actually got some and really like them.
    I LOVE my Turkish towels!!! My bath towel is like a big soft blanket, and covering up after a shower feels so luxurious.

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    I have gone more Japanese style in the past few months, of sleeping on the floor, for my back. I keep thinking about giving up a bed entirely.
    My bed is a Japanese shikifuton I bought from Japan about four years ago. I love sleeping on the floor and got rid of my bed a few months after trying it. Even if I don't get many hours of sleep, it's a very deep and restful sleep (except for those d*mn hot flashes). I have nice cotton percale sheets from LL Bean for the summer and their flannels in winter.

I usually buy cheap pillows and replace them every year. I'd like to do without one but I'm mostly a side sleeper.

I love love love my Scandia Down pillow. Super firm for me and 1 step down for DH. Probably paid $200 each. 2y ago I shipped them in to get new ticking and re stuffed to standard.

We tried many many pillows before these. Worth every penny! I don't like to feel chunks of foam, lumps, bumps, the spine of a feather (or whatever it is called).... ick. I want to support, nice and smooth as if it's not there.

That’s a lot of kaching for a pillow! The most expensive pillows I ever bought were $100 wool stuffed pillows touted to stop snoring. The only problem was they felted and went flat. Hubby, the snorer, wouldn’t use them. So I have two under my head each night, which roughly equals the thickness of one normal pillow. I’m not a fan of down. I react to it. And cheap pillows just don’t last or have substance.

Thread Information