Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Something I personally am grateful for (involves the Buttigieg family)

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

Something I personally am grateful for (involves the Buttigieg family)

I just read online that Pete and Chasten Buttigieg are now parents with twins, one female and one male. Not long ago at all would this have been impossible and to this day I don't believe this could take place in Austria. Seriously, the US is ahead of Austria for once on social issues. Gotta say I'm impressed.

Though I don't personally know the Buttigiegs, I would not be surprised if they turned out to be stellar parents. I'm happy they are getting this chance. Thank You, America, for letting this happen. Rob

He also had a brilliant response to Chris Wallace this week on the topic of abortion.

https://www.upworthy.com/pete-buttig...tion-questions
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    ... and to this day I don't believe this could take place in Austria. Seriously, the US is ahead of Austria for once on social issues.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_r..._and_parenting

Austria seems to allow same-sex couples adoption rights.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_r..._and_parenting

Austria seems to allow same-sex couples adoption rights.
    I will read your link, bae. Interesting - my Cousin Astrid told me that gays and lesbians could not adopt in Austria. This was say a half year ago. Rob

PS Came back to add it seems that if my Cousin Astrid was wrong - joint same sex adoption has been legal in Austria for over five years now. I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that Astrid such information carries no real weight with her given that she's a heterosexual female. So maybe this issue has been off her radar, much like Afghanistan until very recently has been off my radar. Rob

Did I misread that or is it basically saying that adoption is allowed for same sex couples where one of the individuals is biologically related to the child? It doesn't seem to approve/address the adoption of non-biologically related children by same sex couples.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    Did I misread that or is it basically saying that adoption is allowed for same sex couples where one of the individuals is biologically related to the child? It doesn't seem to approve/address the adoption of non-biologically related children by same sex couples.
    I went back and read bae's link again and yes, it does seem confusing as I'm not sure if one of the individuals indeed has to be biologically related to the child. I'll poke around and see if I can't find something more clear, no offense to bae. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    He also had a brilliant response to Chris Wallace this week on the topic of abortion.

Yes. That response by Pete was spot on. And needs to be repeated with a bullhorn every time the forced birth folks start up with their BS.

But the forced birth folks may have just been the proverbial dog catching the bumper thanks to the Supreme Court. Time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post

It WAS a good response, agreed.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    I just read online that Pete and Chasten Buttigieg are now parents with twins, one female and one male. Not long ago at all would this have been impossible and to this day I don't believe this could take place in Austria. Seriously, the US is ahead of Austria for once on social issues. Gotta say I'm impressed.

Though I don't personally know the Buttigiegs, I would not be surprised if they turned out to be stellar parents. I'm happy they are getting this chance. Thank You, America, for letting this happen. Rob
    america did not let this happen. People fought long and hard for this. Just like African Americans fought long and hard for equal rights, a fight still going on. Women fought long and hard for access to voting, better pay that is still not equal, and safe abortions. And many many people fought long and hard to be allowed to marry whom they love.
    interesting story in my area. A very large Methodist church split in two after the conference said no gay people welcome here. One of the pastors had a gay daughter the congregation had watched grow up and the church actually became two.

I give a tremendous amount of credit for couples like this for exhibiting such love for each other in public.
    My son has a male married couple who have adopted 3 boys on his street. Everyone treats them normally and the kids are one of the gang. I’m sure they have run into rudeness and prejudice by the self appointed “Christian” moral police, but recognizing that this is a part of life, that has always existed in society has made huge strides in my lifetime.

Thread Information